Saxum offering, any thoughts?

For some stupid reason - I didn’t buy last year so first purchase. Bought 3 of my 6 Broken Stones and wish listed some of the others. What are the chances I get my wish list wines?

Bought my 6 bottles of broken stones. Hopefully I get some other cuvees next allocation. It’s my third allocation as well.

Do not bemoan only getting a Broken Stones allocation. I’ve had the 2010 twice recently and they were outstanding, but I did not write formal notes. Here are notes from some prior vintages:

• 2007 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (5/13/2013)
    Double decanted back into the bottle at 9:30 am and left uncorked until 12:00, recorked and then brought to the restaurant for lunch with clients. Started at 1:15 pm. Absolutely outstanding wine. Red fruit, meat juices and spice. No sweetness at all - actual or apparent. The wine filled your mouth and had a wonderful depth to it without being syrupy. There was obvious alcohol when I decanted it originally, but it had calmed down when we drank it. Great overall balance. Still some roughness from youth but this is going to be great for years to come. This definitely deserves a WOW. (94 pts.)
  • 2006 Saxum Broken Stones - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (10/30/2010)
    This is the high end of outstanding. We popped and poured this at a steakhouse in NYC, which is not the way to treat it, but it was still a fantastic wine. The most surprising thing about it is thet it oozes raspberry fruit even though the blend is more syrah and less grenache. There’s meatiness and depth, a bit of spice, cherry, power and finesse at the same time with a great mouth feel that makes the wine just slide down your mouth. Dark red color and very long finish. If you like wine with flavor, this is a GREAT choice. (95 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

06 BS & 07 BR are my favorite Saxums to date. I missed Mags this year as I was stuck in the OR.

Yes but yields were down, especially from Halcon. The juice is great though.

I grabbed all 6 bottles of Broken Stones, and wishlisted the Booker & Bone Rock, but not really expecting anything. I figured it couldn’t hurt, though. I’d love to start getting some other bottlings in my allocation, but I just got on the list last year.

I love my Broken Stones. I would just like to try some of the other bottles. Thanks for the tasting notes.

I tried my first Saxum last night, a 2010 Broken Stones. Excellent wine, just ordered 6 of the 2011s.

Jeez, I feel like I registered so long ago, but I’m sure it wasn’t.

Justin, thanks for the info. [cheers.gif]

Thanks Justin, got an email from Sierra not that long after, and made my purchase. Great service as always! [welldone.gif]

Any idea of when wish list request will be filled or denied?

I’m obviously in the minority here (maybe even by myself). My first Saxum. Popped and poured, albeit over 5 hours, was obviously a mistake and probably didn’t give the wine it’s due. Too much spice for me that it gave me indigestion. I’m sure those with better palates are correct, and that it will show much better with more time. Wanted to try one before ordering more. It’s a pass for me, I’m sure others will enjoy it more. I’ll stick to other board favourites for my syrah satisfaction.

I hope this was meant as a joke. Drink what you like, not what other people like (except for once or twice just to check it out). I like Saxum. Many members of our regular drinking group think Justin is the spawn of the devil and deserves a place in the Hall of Fame of Evil with Manfred Krankl and Mark Aubert. Besides, if you do not like it, more for me.

champagne.gif

I couldn’t imagine dropping $89 a piece for a winemaker I had never tried and didn’t know that I even liked.

Pretty much 90% of the wine I buy for the first time I’ve never tried. Being on the east coast I either have to trust similar palates or go on berserker reviews or CT. It’s worked out pretty well.

You understand the tools to minimize your risk.

Understanding a winery style and philosophy can go along way. When I moved back to California from Texas in 2004, I immediately signed up for three mailing lists that I’d never tasted before (at the time, wine couldn’t be shipped to Texas) - Carlisle, Saxum and Copain. And another one that I’d tasted just once - Turley.

Later, I’ve signed up for other wines I’d not tasted - Rhys, Bedrock, Ceritas, Arnot-Roberts …

These wines met my expectations initially and continue to exceed my expectations years later.

I agree. I bought Nicora, Bedrock…and many others the same way, but these were at much lower price points. For the previous poster to drop serious coin on a wine and then taste it only to decide then he didn’t like it… Well, I will just leave it at that.

I’m not sure what the issue is. He did what many of us do, and found it is not his cup of tea. I am sure if he bought several, he will have no problem recovering his cost (or more). grouphug