Sandar & Hem 2022 release (additional shipping states added!)

I’m excited about this release as it’s the first time Sandar & Hem can ship to MN! I inquired about adding more states to their shipping roster a couple of weeks ago when their release went live, now their allowed shipping states seem to have doubled!
I’ve been digging into Santa Cruz Mtn wines, especially Cabs, and Sandar & Hem popped on my radar during BerserkerDay. Bates Ranch Cab, a bunch of Chards, a Rose and a Pinot.

Anyone have tasting notes on their wines? Any experience with the winery? I ordered some of the Cabs and a survey of Chards to try get an idea of the winery and style.

2 Likes

I’ve really liked all of the Sandar & Hem wines I’ve tried. I think Rob’s Chardonnays in particular are some of the best in California, though they may not appeal to those who prefer a richer, oakier style.

I do help out a bit with Rob at the winery so I’m not an entirely objective observer on this, but I think his wines are among the top ones coming from the Santa Cruz Mountains.

You’ll find notes on a few recent Sandar & Hem wines (along with other Santa Cruz Mountains wines) in this write-up from a tasting event earlier this year: Santa Cruz Mountains wine tasting, April 2022

2 Likes

Thanks, Ken!

1 Like

I’ve been impressed after a handful of bottles thus far.

2 Likes

I’ve only had one, it was very good but very young (an '18 Chardonnay a year ago). The mere fact that they are buying Bates Ranch Cabernet makes me salivate. I have a bottle, but I haven’t been able to handle the absurdity and agony of opening a Cab from this very great vineyard at 4 years of age!

I don’t know much, but based on what I know I would not hesitate to try their wines.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I didn’t realize they’d purchased (or are purchasing) Bates Ranch. I thought they just had a grapes lease. That is exciting! I sourced a bottle of 2018 Sandar & Hem Bates Ranch Cab, but haven’t opened it either. I decided to purchase the 2019 blind, hoping I like the style. I have an inkling the 2019 might be open sooner than the 2018.

Based on Ken Zinns’ write-up I’m gathering that Sandar & Hem’s Cabs are a bit more approachable than Mount Eden’s. Don’t know if that’s accurate.

Whoops, sorry for the lack of clarity. I only know that they are purchasing Cabernet grapes from Bates Ranch, I have never heard that they are buying the property. I know the property is for sale, but the property is vast with only 22 acres of Cab Sauv, Cab Franc and Grenache.

I know nothing else about it.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Dan is correct. S&H purchases fruit from Bates. They also make a lovely Rosé from Bates Ranch Grenache.

1 Like

Big +1

It’s beautiful stuff. I think I only loaded up on Chardonnay.

1 Like

Rob is coming to OC! Come taste the wines for yourself at Foretti’s in Corona Del Mar.

I put the invite in the offline forum, click to see it all.

1 Like

Nice!
Rob threw in one of these on an order, been looking forward to having it this summer!