"safest" long term storage provider on East Coast/NYC area

asking for a friend who has accumulated a significant amount of wine and spirits from auction houses. Looking for a safe long term professional storage facility. I think he has wine in DE, NYC, NJ and is looking to consolidate.

It always seems like every couple of years the wine turns up missing, so I’m not sure if he is better off consolidating or leaving at the auction companies and paying them storage fees…thoughts?

thanks
-paul

My first thought is Horse Ridge Cellars in Stafford, CT. No direct experience, but I was in the business for 25 years and their reputation was stellar.

1 Like

Another vote for Horse Ridge in CT, fwiw.

Manhattan Wine Company. They have a location on West 28th Street in Manhattan and their warehouse is in NJ. I have had an account with them for over 14 years and never had a problem. This works out great for me because I live in NJ.

If you search through this board, you will see multiple discussions about storage facilities in NYC metro area that mention, positively, MWC.

1 Like

Another vote for Horse Ridge. Have been with them for many years and am very happy.

1 Like

I use both Horse Ridge Cellars and Manhattan Wine Co. Both excellent.

To echo everyone here, Horse Ridge and MWC are both top notch

As I have said many times before Manhattan Wine Company. It is run by Board member @Marc_Hanes who is excellent.

Horse Ridge for me as well. Very happy with them.

Domaine in NJ seems like an option. They pick up at Delaware auctions and in Manhattan. Over 20 years they maybe have had one single bottle as a “wrong” pull. Extremely accurate and generally very timely. Honestly, not sure how the cost stacks up to others.

I do really rate Domaine’s concierge model. The full service offer is super helpful. It’s cheaper than my non-service Denver storage.

Obviously Domaine has had a few issues in the press, but my interactions with the staff there have been outstanding from start to finish.

1 Like

If you plan on participating in Zachys auctions a little perk is that — if you are willing to wait until the next pick up time — you can have your wines transferred to Horse Ridge Cellars for free. If you want it by a certain date or are paranoid about stuff getting lists, there’s a charge for quick delivery.

Manhattan Wine Company coordinates pickups with all of the auction houses and many NYC based stores (e.g., Chambers, Flatiron).

1 Like

Good to know. I knew they facilitate delivery from some stores to their Manhattan location and can transfer to NJ storage (which has really helped me a lot in the past year). I did not know they coordinated with auction houses.

long time domaine customer… but what’s their concierge model? thanks.

I’m based in Philly and have been using Domaine NY (in Edison NJ) for a little over a year. Have done numerous pulls and drop offs and always impressed with the customer service, speed, and ability to ship from various sources (auction, wineries, etc). I also like their online setup and ability to always see your collection. Not sure how it holds up pricing wise with other options.

I just mean their “Premium” tier which I think is compulsory in NY anyway.

If I want to send a bottle to a friend, they’ll pull a single bottle from storage, pack it and ship it etc.

Then there is Domaine pick up etc.

I just mean the ancillary services above and beyond what a regular storage locker would offer.

i see, i didn’t know there were even priced tiers! i’ve been with them since LLK days i think. inertia.

Another vote for Manhattan Wine Company.

I have used both Domaine and MWC and they are both good. For my use case MWC worked better.

Another vote for Horse Ridge Cellars here. Been storing with them several years. Terrific operation.