Rully Good Wines

2020 Dureuil-Janthial Rully Blanc: A nose of smoky mineral, yellow fruits and spearmint. Great palate shape. Unctuous through the mid and seriously saline at the back end. Balanced and delicious.

1989 Faiveley Rully Les Villeranges: Quite earthy to begin with and showing some pine needle sap. Really got going in the glass, with liqueur cherry intensifying at its heart. It had plenty of flavour and some chalky grip and was still quite youthful.

5 Likes

That 2020 VDJ Rully is particularly good

1 Like

Yep, really enjoyed the 2020 Rully last week. Nicely balanced young burgundy that is already approachable.

1 Like

I had the 2018 Dureuil-Janthial Rully Blanc at a restaurant in Hong Kong (on somm’s rec).

My notes:

Delightful pale yellow, showing touch of aging. Nose of agrumes and saline, ocean spray. Medium acidity on front, developing to candied lemon and mandarin, trailing with a touch of oak, touch of peppermint and long mineral finish.

Thanks for bringing it top of mind; I’d been meaning to get some bottles.

1 Like

Does anyone know how the Dureuil Janthial wines are for premox? The natural cork worries me but it would seem an awful pity not to age the 2020s at all

Which 2020s would you age? Meix Cadot 1er vv?

Frankly I’d quite like to see how the humble Rully normale is in 8-10 years. Alas I’ve not as of yet gotten hold of any Meix Cadot vv.

Fwiw I’ve never had premox in any vdj whites but have probably only opened a case or so.

1 Like

I had a 2014 Vauvry a year or so ago and it was still quite fresh. I’m not too concerned about premox and will aim to drink mine around age 10 or so

1 Like

I’ve had a few of their 2014’s in the last year. 1er Cru Le Meix Cadot Blanc has been splendid a couple of times, as has been Maizières Blanc. Had a badly oxidised 2014 Celine and Vincent Dureuil Rully 1er Cru Rabourcé Blanc, but the second bottle was very good.

1 Like

Thanks folks. That’s all rather reassuring.