RUDY KURNIAWAN & GLOBAL WINE AUCTION FRAUD THREAD (MERGED)

I joined this forum as a result of this thread. I’m not in the market for Burgundy but this kind of research is a benefit to every collector in the world. Even if you weren’t intending to bid at the auction (I was), this should once again ignite the debate over the risks inherent with buying at auction these days…especially rare bottles. Thank you Don. [welldone.gif]

(1) Condition of the capsules vs. fills and labels. The biggest red flag to me …

Great work Don.

I am by no means an expert like Don, but this struck me as well. I just examined the oldest bottles in my cellar and discovered exactly what Don mentions. Almost all of the bottles have pristine capsules compared to the labels. Most labels have a few nicks, age spots, and some soil, while the capsules appear new. If an admitted rookie like myself noticed this, what does that say about Spectrum’s so-called experts?

1 Like

Fully agree. Thanks Don.

1 Like

I’m in awe. You should offer your consulting services to collectors! And auction houses…

\

I am here: Google Maps

2 Likes

Don–Thanks again for the thread and your detailed post.

On the provenance, SOME of the lots have some indication of provenance. On page 124, for lots 114 and 115, what appear to be rather astoundingly pristine labels for 1909 and 1881 Ch. Latour purport to be explained as being from a particular Christie’s auction, with the wine consigned directly by Latour. Whether that information is accurate, and what efforts were made to verify its accuracy with Christie’s and Latour, are other matters.

However, many, many lots have no provenance information at all. Another one that jumps right out is Lot 138–supposedly a six-liter bottle of 2000 Ch. Lafite. If you look at the photo on the preceding page, 138, you’ll see that the label on the bottle is rather significantly crooked; the label dips from right to left. It’s not easy to imagine that Ch. Lafite would bottle something like the 2000 Lafite in a six-liter format and let it go out the door with such an obviously crooked label. So…what is the provenance on this bottle? Nothing at all is listed.

I am in no position to opine one way or another as to the authenticity of various of these bottles, especially since I haven’t seen them in person. But Don is certainly correct to point out the astonishing lack of information in various auction lots about the purported provenance.

Bruce

I’m not a UK lawyer and this is not legal advice, but I think John and Brady are right to flag this issue. I don’t doubt the good faith of all involved in posting, but I would hate to see someone get screwed for trying to perform a public service.

1 Like

Don… WOW! Great post. Thank you for the thread and the post. The response by Spectrum was shameful and filled with double speak. I hope they respond in detail to your detailed and well-written response.

Don, that is a fantastic amount of detail-thank you. Have you reached out to the domaine or wilson daniels? I still dont see the auction house responding to you in writing, i was surprised they even chimed in at all. It would be great to have the domaine seize and destroy counterferfeit wines. If i were you id also reach out to Bill Koch…and if you need his contact info let me know.

Well done, paul

1 Like

Well done sir!

wow Don. Great job. You must be one hell of a lawyer if you’d do all this for fun.

Pretty epic Don

Here is a quote from the Spectrum Wine auctions catalogue for this event

“All wines have been carefully inspected and vetted by our international team of experts and lie in London for this very special sale.
Our inspection process for wine of this magnitude required the most meticulous level of detail and the Spectrum Wine and Vanquish
team of experts spent many long days and nights in our temperature and humidity controlled warehouses, and on conference calls
from California, London and New York to examine countless high definition images of wine bottles, scrutinizing every fine detail of
each consignment”

Jason Boland
President, Spectrum Wine Auctions
Richard Brierley
Head of Fine Wine, Vanquish Wine Ltd

It seems with this statement, a swift reply to all of Don’s concerns will be forthcoming [rofl.gif]

1 Like

Picking Up Steam:

http://www.undergroundwineletter.com/2012/02/wine-fraud-–-caveat-emptor/

1 Like

Have to agree with all these posts.

Amazing work Don.

I have copied and filed this for my own information and future reference, on an issue that is sure to become more widespread.

It really does fall to the auction houses to be the leading experts in detecting such frauds, after all, it is in their long term interest as much as anyone else…

amazing stuff - you should do consulting work for every serious auction house.

1 Like

Don was already one of my burgundy heroes. Now I am ready to declare him the Grand Poobah of Burgundy!!! [welldone.gif]

I am truly thrilled to see so many collectors squarely admitting that there is a problem, and speaking out publicly in support of ending the practice of passing off fakes. We need consumers to be outraged in order to clean up the fine & rare wine industry. For years - it has seems that the only people who were speaking out were those apologists that just want to keep the party going, and who don’t want to see their “friends” - who have taken them to the cleaners for years- go down for their crimes.

It seems that the authorities are finally taking notice, and this outrage will surely help to fan those flames.

Don - you are amazing. I am so happy that you finally got something to resonate.
Many of you may not know that Don has been working on uncovering wine fraud for years. Its been frustrating at times as it has seemed that no one cared. Thank you Don, for sticking with it!

Cheers,
Maureen

www.chaiconsulting.com

Don, what an awesome piece of work. Just incredibly awesome. Thank you.

Don: Commander in Chief of all Counterfeit Forces

Epic post, Don. Truly epic.