Rousseau, Value?

One of my purchases is from a Chicago merchant.

several W Coast stores where I have shopped for many years no longer see Rousseau, same for Leflaive,
Ramonet, Dujac, and others. Not less wine–no wine.
alan

Had a bottle of 06 Chambertin at Enrico Bernardo’s new restaurant Goust in Paris last week. At $285 euros it was supreme value.

That is great f’ing value. Is that normal restaurant list pricing for Burgundy in France?

No

Rousseau’s Mazis is a great, albeit relative, value.

Yep. Almost every guy I buy from has either lost an allocation to these guys (for US guys) or has had allocations cut back (like Sebastian). Newer markets, newer entrants, etc. Ah well…

If you want value - go for Fred Esmonin’s - that and his négoce Bèze have been the standouts for years…

Difficult to call Rousseau “value” as the prices have gone up so much in the past several years.
I estimate the Chambertin and Clos de Beze must have gone up at least 4 - 5 fold since the 2005 vintage.
Friends who used to get decent allocations now complain that they are only getting one or two bottles each year.
The “value” proposition for CSJ I feel is Sylvie Esmonin. Her CSJ is always lovely, but the prices are going up too…
I had lunch with Nicholas Potel last Friday, and he told me an interesting story.
He interned at Beaulieu in Napa when he was just 19 and met Andre Tchelistcheff. Andre was apparently a good friend of Nicholas’s father, Gerard.
One of the first wines Andre opened for young Nicholas was a 1969 Rousseau Chambertin, and Andre thought the Rousseau Chambertin one of the best wines being made anywhere at that time.
1969 just happened to be Nicholas’s birth year.
After he returned to Burgundy (having worked in Napa and then Australia), he went looking for the wine. He found a stash at a small negotiant for 100 Francs each (about 15 Euros). He bought cases of it. Apparently, in those days, nobody wanted old wine.

Adrian