Rousseau, Value?

And, that’s what people were saying in 1992-3 about the Rousseau wines from the '80s…and their prices…but it never stops…there’s always someone who wants to pay for trophies…more.

My point is this “those were the days” sighs are perpetual…about the wine market…

these ARE the good old daze…

Those were the day…

Archie Bunker

Hi,

I am from Brazil and I would like to know where you guys pay only $500 per bottle of Armand Rousseau Chambertin 2009. I was in Europe last month and I bought a bottle of 08 chambertin (i think i paid 559 Euros without tax, plus 20% of tax). Here in Brazil it would cost $ 2000 a bottle.

I probably will go to California this year (SF,LA, San Diego …), Where can I buy some bourgogne wines there? I am really shocked with the prices that you guys are paying (not cheap at all, but much more cheaper than internet stores). I use wine-searcher to find all the stores.

That’s cause you’re paying current retail not release price. Right after release the price sky rockets

Yes but even release price. The 09s are ridiculous overpriced, $380 for a 09 chambertin it is a pretty good deal. Here in Brazil whe can buy Bordeux En Primeur, but they are still 3 times more expansive than US.

Are there maybe high taxes on “luxury” wines in Brazil? Just my guess…

By the way, welcome to WineBerserkers! Hope you enjoy it here.

Never had one. Wouldn’t know if it’s worth it :wink:

My Burgundy Idol. You win. You were the impetus for me to start buying in Europe. Why are you losing allocations? I noticed that with your Coche too. Have you scaled it back? Or are the UK guys getting less and spreading around less? Sebastian told me that was happening with him (when I said “what am I doing wrong!?”)

I do not think there is any point in lamenting about how cheap and procurable Rousseau were in 10-20 years ago. That was true of may top burgundy producers and first growth Bordeaux. Those days are gone. One has to get over it and move on.

In the current climate, if you are after a top domaine in Burgundy you cannot go wrong with Rousseau. Never had a bad wine from Rousseau. Their Chambertin and Clos de Beze can be as good as the top most tier in Burgundy (without the price tag of DRC and Leroy or similar).

But as it was pointed out by Stuart in earlier post their “lesser wines” i.e. Clos de Ruchottes, Mazis or Clos e la Roche are excellent, too. In the 2008 line up the Cazetiers looked really really good.

The current prices on regular allocation from distributor/retailer is much better than on secondary market. In Australia, where there more than 40% tax on wine, our regular allocation prices look comparable to those mentioned by Peter Hirsch. Australia get a significantly disproportionate allocation than the rest of the world and thus we make it our ‘house wine’.

The 2010 allocations were out few weeks ago and were severely reduced. Trying to get a bit more than offered at the first round.

The Cham/CdB pricing: 2006=$555, 2007=$435, 2008=$410, 2009=$450, 2010=$530.
(NB Australian dollar started getting stronger after 2009 when 2007s came out).

It is perhaps the single best value in Burgundy, if you get the Chambertin and Clos de Beze directly from the distributor at the ‘official’ price. 2010 Chambertin and Clos de Beze were 160 euros, ex VAT…

I am not sure what is more worthless
1-discussing prices from 10 years ago
2-discussing cellar door prices for burgundy
3-trying to convince people that my personal preference is a fact and not an opinion

Beer use to be nickel.

I paid just under $400 for the Cham and Beze. US market.

I thought beets used to be a nickel? Which was a nickel more recently, beer or beets?

BTW, I have bought 2010 Rousseau CSJ in Europe at around 300Euro. The seller told me he buys them at a local shop for around 160E…then flips them to suckers like me.

Well, it sounds like there are still people out there able to find the wines at normal U.S. distribution prices, though at decreasing quantities…at these prices, I would buy whatever I could find. In my case, I have to work very hard to put together a few bottles total of Rousseau’s “big 3”. Those who can buy at the cellar or who have found contacts from whom to buy directly overseas are truly fortunate. Even some retailers I used to buy them from are either marking them up to “online” pricing ($1000plus) or selling them at auction themselves.
Oh well. I have grown tired of chasing the wines I have loved for so long, working so hard to find them and paying such ridiculous prices. Given my ripe old age of 58 and what I have in my cellar, I am thinking that 2010 is the last vintage I will chase in any quantity…who knows what condition I will be in 15-20 years from now. Now, if someone offers me any future vintages of Rousseau Chambertin at “normal” pricing, perhaps I will make an exception…

Would you say that you bought those wines at wholesale pricing? Since the wholesale in Seattle was just under $400, perhaps wholesale where you are is less?
Any idea how you were able to pay so much less here in the U.S.?
Just curious.
Robert

Aren’t they all through Wildman? I would think Rousseau wholesale would be fixed pretty well. Or does Wildman dole them out to more tiers? I guess same question for any of them? Roumier and Diageo? DRC and W-D?

Mugnier, Rousseau, and Roumier evade me year after year. I can get onsie twosies of the latter two. I get bupkiss on the Mugnier.

These were not wholesale. This is normal retail pricing. Wholesale should be pretty consistent through out the US. There are minor variances based on location. NY for instance is high for many products. But since this wine is distributed by one importer in the US any differences should be minor.

I think Beets were 3 cents.

If you’re a sucker what am I ?

I thought the same thing, that Wildman controls all US distribution. I also wonder if prices are different for different areas of the US.

Hmmm. I paid $575 for Chambertin and Beze from a Chicago merchant who told me it was his cost plus 10%…

A bit of a break in trust as I bought from them through 06 and 07 when they needed buyers…