Rosh Hashanah wines

We had a lot of people, but not too many real winos, so we went for good wines without high pedigrees. Started with a very nice and easy to drink Bérêche et Fils Champagne Brut Réserve. Probably not as good as some of their other wines, still provided a very nice start to the dinner.

Then, for people who wanted white (mostly people who like a bit of sweetness in their wines), we had a 2012 Château du Hureau Saumur Blanc. I thought the wine was pleasant with very nice flavors but without flavor intensity, but it was a bit hit with the intended audience. I got very nice comments from the people who mostly drank that.

For me at dinner the main two wines were a 2010 Dublere Savigny-lès-Beaune Les Planchots du Nord and a 2010 Cecile Tremblay Bourgogne Rouge. The Tremblay was the richer wine and it was the wine my wife favored. While it was excellent, I very much preferred Blair’s wine. Not as rich or full of flavor, it really had a wonderful elegance and complexity to it. It was quite a seductive wine, albett in a lighter style. It is just why I enjoy Blair’s wines so much.

I drank a 1951 Château Prieuré du Monastir del Camp Rivesaltes. I’m a 1951, as is my Rabbi and our immediate past president, so I brought it to services and we drank it at the Oneg afterwards. They all loved it. I thought it was just OK. A bit of back palate bitterness. Sweetness was subdued, not cloying. A sherry/Port melange with a bit of both. The amateurs all said it was like a Port.