Rieslings & Thai food

Salil Benegal came over for dinner this past Saturday for some Thai food and good Rieslings. Dishes were: Chicken Massaman Curry, Chicken Thai-fried rice, Spicy Beef Salad, “Fun Bags”, Chicken Satay w/peanut sauce, Spicy Thai Sausage & Coconut Shrimp.

In tow, he had with him:

[*]2007 Weingut Hirsch Riesling Zöbinger Heiligenstein - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal (3/28/2009)
A real beauty. Golden sun colored. Nose of ripe melon, citrus, honeysuckle and rain-soaked stones. In the mouth, this shows its heft and power. Strong melon and white fruit notes are backed up by a rapier like acidity. I got a slight bit of residual sugar on the long finish. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

[*]2001 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (3/30/2009)
Drat!! Flat…drab…corked!! :frowning: NR (flawed)

We pulled this birthyear from my cellar:

[*]1976 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Wachenheimer Gerümpel Riesling Auslese - Germany, Pfalz (3/28/2009)
Color is candied orange peel. On the nose an incredible mix of coconut custard, roasted pineapple, burnt caramel and vanilla sugar. There is minerality in the air as well. In the mouth this is luscious and full bodied without being viscous and cloying. The RA is fully integrated and the aromas (coconut, roasted pineapple) are mirrored beautifully on the palate. The only drawback was the short aftertaste. Could have gone on a little longer. (92 pts.)

The wines:

The 01 Schaefer is in the decanter.

A glass with the 76 Bürklin-Wolf:

My kind of dinner! Very nice, Jorge. Was the '76 a recent release from the winery? Two of my favorite producers (Christoffel and Karthauserhof) released batches of '76s and '79s recently, and they’ve all been wonderful-- and we’ve paired every one of them with Thai or Indian meals.

And wow-- look at the color on that '76. The '76s I’ve had have been more of a waxy yellow, not so orange. I wonder if that’s a difference between the Mosel and Pfalz? All of mine have been from the Mosel.

Take out or homemade Thai?

Mel - Doubt it was a recent release. The label would be an indicator…as well as the cork (quite old and fragile). When PMC & Zach were in town last October, I opened another BY wine (76 Giroud Latricieres-Chambertin) which WAS a recent release and both label and cork were quite young looking for a 32 year old wine. As for the color, can’t really say if it’s a regional issue. I will say though, the wine was not cooked or oxidized at all.

Bill - takeout. It wasn’t bad for the burbs…nothing like in the city though. What I did learn though was that in the burbs one is pretty much a “captive audience” and with the lack of competition these mofos make you pay dearly for lackluster food. [diablo.gif]
One of the advantages of Manhattan over the outlays.

I’ll ship up some of my secret house made Thai Yellow Curry and a recipe for spicy crab fried rice.

Nice notes, how much was the Thai delivery per person? [wow.gif]

We had some great older Rieslings at Sripriphai a few months back and they definitely helped with the spices. As good if not better than Champagne.

I’ve got a case of the 2007 Hirsch Heiligenstein in my cellar but have been bashful about opening it “too young”. Guess I’ll twist one when the weather warms. Thanks for the note.

Steve,

If you have an entire case, feel free to try one now. It is absolutely delicious.

Bummer on the Schaefer. One of my favorites.

FWIW, Hirsch often has a bit of RS in it. Sometimes its noticeable in that way; sometimes it just lends heft to the fruit.
I still have some mags. of his 1998 Gaisberg, Alte Reben in the cellar - a pretty spectacular wine and will be for decades.
Best, Jim

Sounds like…