Riesling Trocken: what am I missing?

According to Wine-Searcher Professional, the greater “Pacific Northwest” [to include Idaho] is a veritable desert as far as Austrian wines are concerned.

Even San Francisco/NoCal isn’t showing all that much.

And UPS says that San Francisco is already two-day delivery to Portland.

According to W-S Pro, the really good action is down in LA/SoCal, but if you think that two-day delivery is still safe in May, and if you are willing to venture out towards Gruner Veltliner [rather than Riesling], then there are some very nice vintages of the Honivogl available in San Francisco at [by American standards] fairly reasonable prices:

[u]2001 Honivogl, $55[/u]

[u]2002 Honivogl, $53[/u]

[u]2002, Honivogl, $61[/u]

But, again, W-S Pro indicates that SoCal is the place to be for Austrian action, and UPS says that’s a three day shipment to Portland.

Melissa,
don´t argue with me about Mozart (BTW) !!!

Talking about Mosel Rieslings I can follow you, the natural acidity in this northern climat is usually so high than many wines need (a little bit!) residual sugar, how much is a topic.

But there are extraordinary dry Rieslings produced in mid and Southern Germany, Alsace and Austria (AUSTRIA !) … and if you tell me that a Clos St.Hune, a Keller G-Max, a F.X.Pichler Kellerberg or Hirtzberger Singerriedel is unbalanced without RS … (ok, guess what …)
[rofl.gif]

Best
Gerhard