Riesling geeks, what glassware do you use?

I must be the only riesling geek on this board that uses an unglamorous glass. I use - well, I don’t know who the manufacturer is! I bought them several years ago at a wine shop that I wandered into on 14th St that was holding a tasting with these glasses. I liked them, they were on sale and came in boxes of six and so I bought two boxes.

Just went to look at them and found a small logo - C&S or Chef & Sommerlier. I think they are mostly trade glasses. But I like the shape (about 8" tall altogether, bowl about 4.5" tall and tapering) and the ease at which they fit into my dishwasher. I use them only for casual riesling drinking. I guess if I were drinking something particularly grand, I might use my old (and packed away) Spieglau hand-blown riesling stems, which were long ago discontinued.

1 Like

Now I’ve done some looking - the C&S glass I use appears to be discontinued. But I just looked at the Grassl Mineralite (because David said it’s what he is using so that’s a good rec for me!) and it looks strikingly like the C&S glass I use! Slightly taller.

1 Like

I used the Riedel Vinum Riesling for years, but really like the Grassl Liberte for almost all whites.

1 Like

GGGs for me.

1 Like

From Somm 2: “Can there be any other business where there’s so much bullshit?"

EE7F0971-2D05-4A9E-81B7-F1D0B0A94FCB.jpeg

1 Like

Politics!

[cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Hi! A Google search about riesl8ng glasses brought me to this chain and site. First post! After reading what everyone here said, I am going to try the GG StandArt to start. The GGGis gorgeous but I am not sure i can convince my wife the $ is worth it. As she loves riesling as well, i may use that to help sway her!

1 Like

SAME!! Absolutley love my GGG’s and use them for almost everything. Went to find some ‘deals’ around Black Friday/Cyber Monday and was bummed to see how expensive they are now. I feel like the StandArt is now the price that the GGG’s used to be :frowning:

Its pricey now for sure…but it’s an amazing glass. My hands-down favorite, and i own most of the usual suspects (Zalto, Grassl, etc)

Welcome to WB, Zach. I think you will find that not much is unanimous here, but there are a lot of knowledgable, and often useful, opinions. Enjoy.

P.S. IMHO choose a “universal glass” as your first high quality glass. You may never need another. I like the Grassl Liberte. Here is an earlier thread comparing the Liberte with the GGG.

My go-to glass is Gabriel-Glas StandArt. I no longer have Zalto Universal.

4 Likes

Thanks! I just purchased the Grassl champagne glasses after doing a lot of digging and reading.

I use Grassl Liberte or Versatile as my go to for German Rieslings. I was just in Mosel/Nahe/Rhinehessen a few weeks ago, most of the producers I visited either used Zalto universals or Spiegelau.

4 Likes

I destroyed Zalto Denk’Art, Riesling Sommeliers and a few other glasses in the dishwasher. I don’t believe there is a hand made glass that survives more than 20 usual dishwasher rounds.

me………2000 rounds

we need to talk. And drink

2 Likes

Since I originally posted on this thread 3+ years ago, I started using the Grassl Liberte (originally as replacements for GGG glasses that broke) and it’s now my third go-to glass for Riesling, all ranked same generally. Love the Grassl.

2 Likes

I bought the Gabriel Glas StandArt for my riesling as a Christmas gift to myself. Its beautiful and i will hate mysemf lrss if I break it instead of a more expensive glass.

Santé!

2 Likes

Anybody know where to find this in the US?