Riedel Vinum XL Pinot Noir Glass?

I know with all the new wine glasses on the market these days, Riedel are not particularly in vogue. When they first came out with the Vinum XL line, while the Cabernet glass was a machine made version, it was identical in size and shape as the Sommelier Cabernet glass. Not so with the Pinot Noir glass. I’ve come to realize that it is what was previously referred to as the Oregon Pinot Noir glass. It looks to be similar in design to the Conterno Sensory Glass. Does anyone use the Vinum XL Pinot Noir glass, and if so, do you like it?

I have a set that I keep in my trunk for traveling wine glasses that I picked up at TJ Maxx for $29 for a set of 4. They are serviceable and they work in a pinch…but they are not nearly close to the quality of the Conterno glasses.

Love the restaurant version of this glass as they don’t break as easily. Never broke one of these or the Somm Bordeaux stem either.

I bought a 12 pack of the restaurant series “Oregon Pinot Noir” glass some years ago to use for tastings, and although close, I prefer them to my Vinum Pinot/Burg. Glasses. And they have been sturdy.

My “go to” Pinot glass.

I bought a 12 pack of the restaurant series “Oregon Pinot Noir” glass some years ago to use for tastings, and although close, I prefer them to my Vinum Pinot/Burg. Glasses. And they have been sturdy.

I have knocked over a few of the Pinot Restaurant stems on the table and no breakage. The real ones I will never buy again as just washing them by hand scrares me.

I bought several sets on sale several years ago and hardly use them as they are just too big. They are durable but a bit thick. I wish I had the ability to buy the restaurant grade Riedel, always been my favorite lake house glass. We have gone to Grassl at home and love them.

1 Like

I have both versions as well as the Conterno.
They are good glasses and the Restaurant version a bit shorter and stronger. I use the mainly for PN
The Conterno is an altogether different beast and I love it.
Perfect for Nebbiolo, mainly for me Barbaresco and Barolo. This glass is pricey and to me, well worth it. Looking for another.

The two of us are conducting regularly tasting experiments with different glasses since November (Zalto, Conterno, Grassl, Gabriel). I only learned about the Conterno shortly before starting the trials and always was a fan of Zalto anyway. So far, however, the Conterno won all 8 tastings (!) to my big surprise and often only the Zalto (Bdx/Burg) came close. The tests so far are not yet broad enough to really draw final conclusions (and I will publish them here of course) but a stunning interim result nevertheless.

The wines tasted so far with Conterno in the mix and winning were broad (Lynch 90, Palmer 83, Trotanoy 83, Morlet Force Majeur 16, Le Dome 10, Leflaive Pucelles 15, Carmes HB 16) and the Conterno seems to perform very well in different categories.