Rhys Incoming....Jan. 31st

I wish the wines were cheaper and that I could buy more, but in the big picture I think they are fairly priced.

The thing that is priceless here is that Kevin and Jeff will come online and honestly discuss these issues and many others. This isn’t unique to Rhys on WB but the set of producers who have this transparency is pretty small.

I don’t know if this is wrong, but a way for some of the low-level buyers to get access to some of the more limited production wines would be to combine orders. For example, let’s say both my friend and I are on the list, and we both don’t max-out our allocations — we could simply decide to combine our orders and max-out one of our allocations (or, at least, come closer to maxing-out), which would eventually result in access to the more limited production wines; additionally, if you and a friend combine your orders into one allocation, and drop the other allocation, that would open up a spot for someone on the waitlist, too. Everybody wins! [cheers.gif]

Kevin and Jeff, going forward we all expect complimentary helicopter tours when we visit, not that chintzy SUV crap. Side-by-side comparisons with DRC seem apprpriate too. If you can’t do that for everyone, then please derive an allocation system that favors me.

Oh yeah, I’d also like a pony.

Zach, I think if you look at Rhys prices over say the last six vintages vis a vis Burgundy (top Village, 1er, GC, smoothing for vintage volatility), the escalation has been quite modest by comparison. And this is over a period where Rhys has moved from a subsidized to a cost-clearing price structure.

And the Rhys cost includes shipping- which I love.

I drank the 2008 Alpine chard last night and it is worth every penny. It remains up there for my favorite chards from Aubert and Rivers Marie.

+1

+1
One the most brilliant marketing moves to inspire customer loyalty that I know of-

Mike, Burgundy prices have gone up, but I still find many more under $50 wines that make me groan with pleasure there than I do in California. I enjoy Rhys wines and certainly want to see them make a profit. I will continue to buy a few bottles each release, budget permitting. I don’t want to stir up the whole Burgundy value debate again, I just thought it was funny that your tongue-in-cheek post was my exact reaction to the e-mail.

I wonder if I’ll actually receive the waiting list e-mail that let’s me buy into the list. I still don’t understand why it never hit my inbox last time.

When the buzz on this thread picks up after the e mail, remind me. If for some reason you don’t get your allocation, I’m may be able to help you out. [cheers.gif]

Right. That’s what people are expressing/concerned about. I haven’t seen anyone ask for or really complain about anything.

All anyone has said is that a 40 % increase over two years is attention grabbing and that future increases may squeeze or limit some buyers.

in burgundy prices also go down in worsening vintages. It goes up when vintages are more acclaimed. So that must mean in this case every vintage is better than the last!

Fairly new to the list, this will be my second order. Haven’t popped a Rhys cork yet. With the prices getting up towards my limit, I really need to try one soon to see if its my thang. Have 09 Bearwallow and Family Farm Pinots. Any recs on which one to throw at a hunk of Salmon off the Traeger this week? thx

Open the Family Farm.

The Rhys website’s vintage chart and drinking recommendations lists both wines as drink/hold. The notes may help you decide which one to open.
https://www.rhysvineyards.com/wines/tasting.php

Thanks Andrew and Chris. Saw the vintage chart, very cool. Another example of how consumer friendly Kevin and Co are. Really hoping these are in my wheelhouse because I like supporting businesses that rock the customer service.

I should qualify my recommendation – I suggested the Family Farm because I’ve personally had it, and found it quite enjoyable at this youthful stage. I have no experience with the Bearwallow, but it could potentially be the better one to pick off right now.

Darren, I would open the Family Farm and I would decant it for an hour or two before drinking. I think it’s a good example of the Rhys style and is probably more approachable than any of the other 2009s right now.

Thanks Jeff, exactly what I’m looking for.