Rhys Incoming....Jan. 31st

Sure thing, I’ll be happy to take you from 36 to 24 btls.

dons mink coat to go taste barrels

Sorry, I slipped into nerd C++ mode. “+=” means additional, so 36+24= 60 bottle allocation. yay. flirtysmile

int swan_alloc(int n) {
return(swan_alloc(n+1));
}

10 Print “No chance Keith”
20 Goto 10
run

OMG! [suicide.gif]

For some reason, I envision a white CeeLo walking around with a wine thief

OK that higher math is just beyond me, just hope I make the list this go round instead of relying on others sharing. Hint Hint Cary. flirtysmile

You joke but this was my first thought when I got the e-mail today! More for you [cheers.gif]

Always guys willing to help cherry pick an allocation. Try coming up with the money twice a year, year after year to loyally buy accross the board regardless of points.

once again - as excited to buy these as i was from the very first rhys mailer…perhaps even more so as i’ve experienced the sheer joy that comes from these wines. having said this, i too am a bit concerned about the consistently upward movement in pricing. i am sure kevin will never recoup all of his investment, and crafting world class wines is not a charity nor should it be. it happens with nearly every other winery out there (yes there are of course exceptions), so none of us should be surprised in the case of rhys. i mean do you really think any business that makes such a terrific product and costs a pretty penny to create isn’t going to attempt to minimize loss? i may just have to purchase less as time moves on. cue up the worlds smallest violin - i know. in the end, rhys has always delivered a stellar product matched by fantastic customer service.

Currently allocations are determined by $$$ spent, which does make sense. However, as a low spender on the totem pole, would it be possible in a couple of years, to add seniority into the mixture as well? Is that even a good idea? Just thinking out loud here.

For example, members who have been consistently buying for 10+ releases (but total spend normally wouldn’t get access to low production wines that vintage) also get a one-bottle allocation of some of the low-production wines.

Cary, I hope this will not turn into yet another thread trying to tell Rhys how their wines should be allocated. All those whines done been aired out B4.

Seniority and consistently buying offer after offer should count for more than just buying volume. If volume is over weighted then a guy who just made the list ends up with a better allocation than someone buying since 04. That makes no sense to me. The guys who started buying in 04 bought purely on faith. The guys signing up now are looking at critical aclaim and saying yea me too.

My post was not a whine. I’m fine if they leave it as is. I do understand their production from each vineyard varies greatly vintage to vintage.

So should someone who has bought say 3 to 6 bottles a release since 2004 be able to cherry pick over someone who say started buying in 2007 but a buys a case a release?

Cherry pick: no. Management could decide which, of the lower production wines to offer the “cheap seniors” a one bottle allocation during that semiannual release.

In any case, I’m just thinking out loud here, not whining and crying about my lot in life.

It’s not like I can afford much of this stuff, but, still, I think the pricing is creditable. I don’t think anyone who has toured the Rhys vineyards and caves would doubt that their cost of production warrants these prices. And consider the common alternative to annual price increases – debut pricing that assumes a spot at the very top of the varietal peer group you aspire to join. Which is more admirable, to decide that your first release is just as good as Montelena and Monte Bello and try to thrust yourself into that company with equivalent pricing, or to debut more modestly and earn your yearly price increases by stacking up good vintage after good vintage?

Cary,
Our current allocation system uses a sum of 5 yrs of historical purchases. This rewards the longer term customers for their patronage while also acknowledging the newer customers that buy more. It is very hard to move up the list since new members are not offered much wine (btw My advice for those looking for more is to wishlist as much as possible).
I know there is no perfect system but I hope people find ours to be fair and rewarding for past loyalty.

I do. [cheers.gif]

Ah. Stupid me, I probably missed one of the many threads in the past where you mentioned the trailing-five-years total.
I’m happy with this system then.