Rhys fined $3.76M for illegally diverting water in Anderson Valley

I agree.

Has anyone discussed how the Haut Medoc came to be a wine growing area?? Dutch engineers drained marshes and turned swampland into famous vineyards. They did similar work near Poitiers and the result is the Marais Poitevin…

And various different wonderful things have been done and built by slave labor. What’s your point?

The original post didn’t just state a large number of people were leaving, rather that they were fleeing because CA is “off the charts hyper-regulated, environmentally excessive, business unfriendly state” (as described by someone that was quoted).

I understood Neal’s claim he was wrong to include the complete context of the claim.

People are leaving mainly because some sectors of the economy have been so strong that it has raised the cost of living (mainly housing) to a level that is difficult to afford for people who don’t benefit from the hot sectors of the economy. They are currently being replaced by people who, on average, have higher incomes (attracted by the hot sectors). That’s certainly a problem for parts of CA, but it’s rather different from the original claim.

-Al

1 Like

Drain the swamp?

I’ve been hearing various versions of the whole ‘businesses and people are leaving California in droves because of all the taxes and regulations’ for close to 40 years. Or most all of my life in which I cared to pay attention to such things. They continue to say this in the face of all evidence to the contrary. Usually they will also complain about too many damn people being here.

Yet the economy keeps growing. Usually more rapidly than most of the rest of the US. I keep seeing the results of ever growing population and evidence of people living successful lives. Things like increasing traffic and new large tracts of homes full of large houses filling up.

I suppose one day there will be some crash and that sect of our electorate will be vindicated for repeating that falsehood for decades upon decades. But when that happens it will mean the entire nation’s economy will be circling the drain given how big California’s is and therefore how much it means to the nation as a whole. So it will be some small victory merely of rhetoric.

On topic, those who pointed out that Rhys came to a large settlement with the board out of agreement make the correct point. That infers there may have been bigger problems or fees as a result of the situation. It doesn’t seem like they were inclined to make a big fight out of it. That should be enough to indicate whether the board’s report was in the ballpark of appropriate or not.

Running in here and proclaiming there is some secret information that will make this whole issue go away seems like silly rumor mongering and conspiratorial flame fanning. It’s not a good look for the poster and certainly adds nothing to the discussion.

Brian,
I am not sure what my point is although I don’t think Kevin used slave labor up there in Laytonville. I am just ruminating about things.

It seems that if something bad was done in the past and something good came out of it, we are all down with it…Nobody here is in favor of bringing back precious wetlands in the Haut Medoc. Re doing the Central Valley might make ecological sense but we probably can’t live without all those fruits and vegetables…not to mention the almonds.

What is it they say about the Old West, Whisky is for drinkin’ and water is for fightin’ over…

Mel, I always appreciate your points of view and hate to see anyone here give you a hard time.
That said, as a fly fisherman it is very hard to put up with those who do anything to destroy the few remaining streams that support steelhead and other forms of wild trout (or even stocked trout).
Some people go ga-ga over rare birds, plants, trees, you name it, and I can not relate.
I may be overstating things, but I happen to believe that most anyone who had the chance to observe trout in their native habitat would agree that it is a precious thing that should not be destroyed for the sake of grapes or commerce (or both).
And on top of that, no jab intended towards Rhys, but this mountain aint no La Tache or Richebourg in the making.

1 Like

Mitch,
Not to worry. I get your point.

For all the people saying Rhys was unfairly targeted, looks like more wineries behaving badly are being caught: https://www.pressdemocrat.com/business/9886319-181/notable-sonoma-county-wine-executives

"Prominent Sonoma County wine executive Hugh Reimers, who last month abruptly left as president of Foley Family Wines, faces allegations that his grape growing company has violated regional, state and federal water quality laws for improperly clearing land near Cloverdale to build a vineyard.

The North Coast Regional Water Quality Board accused his Santa Rosa vineyard management company, Krasilsa Pacific Farms, of violations of the water board’s local water rules, the California Water Code and the federal Clean Water Act for clearing and grading 140 acres. The water quality board concluded the work on a section of Krasilsa Pacific’s more than 2,000-acre property was done without applying or obtaining the necessary permits required by the county to operate a vineyard."

Who else will get caught? As a Californian, I’m glad we have regulators who are acting to protect the public good.

There’s a thread on that

I’m thinking Craig is joking, and it is pretty funny seeing how California is still headquarter to a significant chunk of large business in America, like Apple, Oracle, Wells Fargo, Intel, The Gap, Walt Disney, Facebook, Paypal, Tesla, etc, etc. In fact the Golden State is doing so well, it would be fifth largest economy in the world if it was a country.

It’s what’s so hard about dumpster fires: The heat warms you and the colors are fascinating. It just pulls you in.

Kudos to Neal M for once again being MVP of the thread.

Now let’s all go drink some Rhys. For some, because you love it and will continue to buy, to others in order to rid your cellars of a monster. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I know so many of you were buying Justin Wines, but:

Pretty sure there was a thread on this topic back when the story broke.

-Al

5 Likes

Don’t like adding to this, but really bad form reviving this thread to rag on a completely different winery.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m sorry. Is there another environmental degradation by wineries thread? I searched for one for Justin Vineyards. It was news to me.

1 Like

Petulant to the end I see.

4 Likes

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/clearing-of-oak-forest-land-in-paso-robles-justins-deforestation-merged/121797

5 Likes

I heard about “Justin and the Oaks” (future band?) before I even knew about WB. That makes it mainstream to me!