Revisiting: What are your favorite California Syrahs?

Cool list to work your way through. We were surprised with the quality of Booker a few weeks ago when we visited although it is around the $50 range.

In my area I have been digging Vino V and what Michael has been doing with White Hawk fruit.

Try some Tablas Creek Beaucastel '07 and tell me that Sh*t is not great!!

Thackrey (Orion)

That is actually petit sirah.

This was my favorite wine of 2006. I will take what they give me. Hope it gets the beautiful label again!

Lucia Susan’s Hill is my favorite Syrah…along with Carlisle.

I really only buy syrah from three producers in California:

Peay
Copain
Carlisle

While I do occasionally enjoy Carlisle’s big, bold flavors, I tend to gravitate far more toward cool climate syrahs and Peay and Copain consistently are my favorites.

The tasting room for Bodega Rancho and Bohème is in a wine store called Cellar Door. While I was up there tasting the wines I noticed an '05 Tablas Creek Esprit de Beaucastle. I wanted it but the tasting room and wine shop are separate businesses and the wine shop was unmannned and their credit card machine wasn’t working. Oh well. Spent the money on more Bodega Rancho.

'07 Bodega Rancho Sonoma Coast Que Syrah Vineyard
'07 Bodega Rancho Sonoma Coast Thieriot Vineyard
'07 Bohème Pinot Noir Stuller Vineyard

Brian - where is Cellar Door in Occidental? Worthwhile stop?

It’s between 2nd and 3rd streets across BoHi from the Barley and Hops Tavern. I was looking around as I tasted. Williams Selyem, Kistler, Kosta Browne, Tablas Creek, Spottswood, Paul Hobbs, Mark Herold, Robert Foley, Hundred Acre, Switchback Ridge, Shafer, Pride Mountain, Guigal, Pegau, Chapoutier etc… I saw some Bordeaux’s, Sauternes, Barolos and Tuscans as well… Small store with big names. Prices are about 20% over release prices, at least on some of the ones I checked.

Derek from Bodega Rancho said the owner isn’t there often. He does a lot of his business online but will be there on appointment. Tasting for Bodega and Boheme is open weekends and on Thursday during the farmers market.

It was worth the stop just to see the great selection so close to home.

For syrah blend: Saxum
For syrah varietal: Dragonette

I’ll add a few others for consideration.

Kokomo makes some very nice syrahs. Their 2005 Dry Creek Syrah is drinking really well right now and is under $30.

Surh Luchtel has a syrah from the Page-Nord vineyard that is a favorite of ours. Both the 2005 and 2006 are solid but I’m going to let the 2006’s rest a while longer.

The most interesting syrah I have tasted is a 2006 from Constant on Diamond Mountain. My wife and I had a couple of friends over and we opened the bottle for some steaks and everyone brought their favorite side side dish that included mushrooms. The wine was incredible and couldn’t have been a better match for the fare. It was luscious and very well balanced. It might be my WOTY so far.

Monte

Picked up a 04 Hundred Acre tonight.

I find myself buying ESJ W-F, Lillian and Dehlinger. Recently I’ve tried some Cabot syrah that I really like.

Cheers!

\

• Frank [cheers.gif]

So many good ones. Here are my benchmarks:

Qupe Hillside
SQN
Ojai Roll Ranch
Araujo
Alban Estate
ESJ Durrell and Basetti
Augie Hug Basetti
Tensley Purisima and Thompson

I can name names, but what fun would that be?
Here’s 4 pages to chew on… [snort.gif]
(notes come at about bottom of page 1 and go on and on…)

Virtual Online Tasting: 'Drink That West Coast Syrah' week+ - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the field testing was inconclusive?
http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-10-21/wine/17449029_1_winemaking-grapes-sean-thackrey/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESJ, Peay, Rhys/Alesia

I’ve recently been hearing (and reading on this thread) a good bit more about Arnot-Roberts. A Pinot-maker from Healdsburg was just plugging their Syrah to me. How would you describe their style?

RT

From Santa Barbara County:

Qupe
Jaffurs
Tensley
Beckmen
Fess Parker
Dragonette
Melville
Vino V
Ojai
Stolpman

Cheers!

Good point, I should have been more exact. To date they have only released Alesia syrahs but will be having Rhys in the future.

I loved what happened to their 2003 Alesia syrah with a few years.

All of the above and Booker.