Revisiting: What are your favorite California Syrahs?

in the Paso Robles realm, i’d say Denner is solid.

Alesia up to this point, but there will be estate syrahs beginning with '08.

Stefania.

There are some really good recommendations so far. I would add: Stolpman, Keplinger, and Terry Hoage.

Try the 2007 westerhold family vineyards syrah, great stuff right at your price point.

I just had a Big Basin last week which was as tasty as anything I’ve had lately. Arcadian wines never disappoint. Rhys/Alesia the same. I had a La Sirena Santa Ynez bottling earlier this year which rocked bells too.

Kevin is putting out an 07 Rhys Skyline Syrah.?

Many of my favorites have been mentioned previously. Another in your area is Bodega Rancho. Three single vineyard syrahs from the Sonoma Coast (Que Syrah, Thieriot, Vivio). Small production wines. Tasting room in Occidental.

I started working with the Bodega Rancho wines in California this year, and have been buyiNg wine as a consumer from Kurt Beitler (owner/farmer/vineyard manager/winemaker of Bodega Rancho and Boheme) since the 2004 vintage. I am an unabashed syrah junkie and Kurt consistently produces some of the best syrah for my palate in the state.

another vote in favor of Arnot Roberts (loved the 06 north block hudson) and Terry Hoage. Add to the list Renard and Miller Wine Works.

If you want to venture north of CA, you may want to consider some of the WA producers like Gramercy.

Whoa big guy, I can only conquer 1 state at a time [berserker.gif] though I do have a few 2006 Delille Doyenne’s in the cellar already.

Adding Cabot and Rhys (QPR!), Bodega Rancho (love getting in on the ground floor, and they’re local!) among others. Thanks again!

Radio Coteau has made some stunning Syrahs. Expensive, but of consistently high quality.

Also Peay, for well-crafted cool climate originals.

After reading the whole thread, it’s really an embarrassment of riches in CA Syrah. [cheers.gif]

Ahh… Delille… you have fine taste buds. [cheers.gif]

I thought California Syrah was supposed to be a tough sell. [scratch.gif]

Seconds to Lagier Meredith and Arnot Roberts (especially the Clary Ranch)
I must say that I always enjoy Mounts Family Syrah from DCV as well. Great QPR! I think it’s like around $25.

Lots of great recommendations. I’d add Beckmen- either the estate or the Purisma Mountain Vineyard Syrah.

Tasted the '08 Arnot-Roberts Clary at the winery last month and it’s amazing (and under 12% Alc. IIRC) Release will be in September.

How could I have forgotten Peay? Just delicious Syrah.

HdV makes the best Syrah for my money.

In no particular order:

Big Basin
Scherrer
Anthill Farms
Rhys/Alesia
Lucia
Cabot
Peay

CA Syrah may be a tough sell, but not to this crowd. In the mean time we can spread the word, and try to keep these producers in the black.

Taking a drive up the hill to Occidental, 10-15 mintues away, to do some Boheme and Bodega Rancho tasting. I’ll have to see what I come home with.