Retailers - Washington D.C.

Not my experience - I’ve had, and definitely heard, many people ask about a certain type of wine at a price range below $20 and the folks are showing them alternatives, asking questions about what people like.

Separately, particular credit to Pepi whom I overheard talking to a woman who asked about Chardonnays, “maybe Rhombauer”. The face of disgust/disdain he made was hilarious - not at the customer, but the mention of the name. His response was something like - “I think I can find you several things that are much better at a lower price.”

Fixed it for you. [stirthepothal.gif]

I buy a ton of wine at MacArthur Beverages. Don’t forget that Phil is also big on Beaujolais, Languedoc-Roussillon, Spain, and Portugal. The odd-ball stuff seems to fall into John’s lap. I only show up at Weygandt periodically but have always felt welcomed by Tim and Warren.

Perhaps, but they are the best cheese shop.

Not even close. Cheestique

Phil Bernstein at MacArthurs is great, and I’ve had good interactions with Andy Creemer there too. Tim Akin is the Italian section guy mentioned earlier - I’m not in that area much but he also does their spirits section and I’ve gotten some good help from him there. Haven’t interacted much with Mark Wessels, though he seems friendly enough. I’ve mostly noticed the condescending attitude from Joe Kluchinsky, who seems like he’d ask why you’re only buying 1 and not 2 truckloads of DRC.

Tim and Warren at Weygandt are fantastic. Anyone who hasn’t been in to talk to them really should make the effort.

The folks at Chain Bridge Cellars, who I don’t think have been mentioned yet, are also really friendly and helpful. But that store seems more geared towards budget options and daily drinkers than forum favorites. I occasionally see some fun stuff or other gems there though.

Strangely, this thread is reassuring. I have had similar experiences (cold shoulder, condescension, etc…) with the staffs at many of these places and it has bothered me a great deal. Now I know not to take it personally; they sound like they are just jerks. Except maybe Phil - who I have not yet encountered.

Good to know.

I’ve also found my experiences at CW and MacArthur’s unpleasant. I was never treated particularly well. Like Neal said I just buy online the vast majority of the time, primarily from Crush. I also get my browsing fix in there when I am in NY. Unlike the DC stores, everyone at Crush was very nice to me despite my being a random 25 year old asking about obscure champagnes. I probably haven’t made a purchase at a DC wine store in 4 years and have no intention of changing that.

Have had good experiences with Tim @ Weygandt and with Phil @ Bassins (mostly via email, but he’s been very helpful and recommended several wines that I’ve since picked up in person).

A +1 for Joe Riley at ACE Beverage, but ACE is the best place to go for spirits in DC without a doubt and Joe is more knowledgeable than most in this regard.

Other than love for Joe Riley, the only place that’s ever really made me feel like an important person has been Schneider’s of Capitol Hill. The Gundersons (and I’ve only known Josh a short while, but have bought from Rick many a time) always have a few bottles open, and will always open something new for me to try if they think I’m going to buy a case, whether it’s $15 or $75. They haven’t cared that I’m a small change buyer.

Hunter - I would give these stores another try.
N.

As a D of C guy, My 2 cents on Bassins, as it’s the 1 place I have the most experience with - and with an asterisk that all these retailers have a tricky balance between being helpful/intrusive/rude for not engaging/attacking, etc.

I’ll add to the Phil Bernstein love fest. That dude is as classy and friendly as they come, and I am not going out on a limb stating he’s my favorite in the entire city.

Apparently not many Italian wine fans that frequent Bassins in this thread but Tim is equally as friendly and willing to help, even outside of his ‘section’

I unfortunately must agree with a previous post about the Burg guy who wears the vest and stands at the podium by said Burgs looking downwards upon customers/subjects at Bassins. Don’t know his name, have always avoided as he’s never given me the time of day and seems quite busy at all times of the day.

The staff at the checkout could not be more accommodating. Fantastic folks.

I’ve been shopping at MacArthur Beverages once every week or two for a very long time so I have a good relationship with everyone. I do think there is a constant wave of internet orders, phone orders, stocking the floor, ordering wine, dealing with reps, etc. such that sometimes I just deal with things myself. Talk to Phil, even if he’s super busy he’ll give you some time. Tim is great with the Italian wines, he’ll take you through the entire inventory and he also knows a lot about the spirits. As Kevin pointed out, everyone up front is great. Cultivate a relationship with the people everyone is writing about and you’ll become hooked.

Interesting reading this thread…I’ve never felt slighted in the least by anyone at any wine store in DC…thank god I’m not involved with customer service.

I don’t know Joe, the Burgundy buyer, at Bassin’s well but he’s a good guy and helped me set up a tasting appointment in Beaune. And I certainly don’t buy truckloads of DRC!

I have to admit that I have not witnessed any issue with the sales staff at Bassins. I have dealt with all of them and everyone has been helpful and friendly. However, I primarily interact with Andy and Phil who between the two of them have always been great. In no particular oder they have

1. Sold me wine from their private holdings that were no longer available in the store
  2. Pointed me to sub $15 bottles when I am asking for ideas AND I have not made price a critera for purchase
  3. Refused to sell me a wine for which they have had a large numbers of flawed bottles. I am sure that if I insisted they would have sold it.
  4. Opened up bottles to taste before purchasing. To be fair, the bottles were to be part of the tasting later that day so really only opened them a few hours early.

Its an hour for me to get to the store so we only get up there 4-6 times a year and we always plan to spend at least an hour as a good portion of the time is spent talking with whoever is working that day.

As a lot of what I buy there is in the $15-25 range, I will admit to not doing a lot of price comparison. And I do love their deli counter as well. My go-to place for lots of cassoulet ingredients in particular.

If you’re willing to get into the car, you can find some decent buys on good mainstream wines (e.g., Bordeaux 2nd, 3rd, etc.) at Total Wine in either McLean or Alexandria. Other than that, I’m for Bassin’s and Cal-Wood.

I’ve found the people at MacArthur to be very pleasant and very helpful and very knowledgeable–usually find myself dealing with Joe Kluchinsky or Andy Creamer, but have always been treated well by Phil and Tim, as well. Rarely go to CW these days, basically because parking is a pain–the staffers are fine. Always get excellent treatment at Arrowine in Arlington and The Vineyard in McLean.

You have to get on Arrowine’s email list for the deals at all prices. They also do weekly “doorbusters” but you have to go get them at the store-no phone or email. I don’t agree with this policy but that’s the way it is.

And fabulous cheeses.

+1 on this.

As you note, you need to get on the list for the best deals. E.g., they had the 2012 Domaine Bart Bourgogne recently via email. Regular Price: $27.99; Sale Price (6-11 btls): $19.99; Case Price (12+ btls): $18.99. BTW, a delicious Bourgogne.

Also, I think there are certain VA rules that limit sales (at least in Arlington). I remember Doug Rosen once saying that they could only sell inventory that they actually had in their possession (or something similar) - so no pre-arrival sales.

Don’t know Virginia law, but they do pre-arrival sales all the time. Not sure when they charge my credit card, however. It is possible they wait until the wine comes in meet such a rule.