Retailers - Washington D.C.

Calvert Woodley is a serious wine store with a serious selection, but I don’t think I’ve ever shopped in a more awkward store, with that one tiny, cramped aisle for the fine wine and the majority of the store a combination deli/liquor mart. Maybe Crossroads in NYC is (was?) more cramped, but not by much.

no love for MacArthurs?

Bassins=Macarthurs

Agree that CW is cramped so try and go off hours during the week. Their website is quite consumer friendly so order ahead and then pick it up. I remember going to Crossroads in July one year and promising myself I would never buy wine from them as the store must have been around 80 degrees. I actually like cramped stores as that means they need to move wine and deals can be had. CW always has “unadvertised” specials that can be well priced.

+1. I have taken to ordering a fair amount online through them - a lot more convenient if I know what I want.

I’ve had mixed experiences with CW. I used to live walking distance from there and stopped in after exiting the Van Ness/UDC stop 3-4 times a week. I never seemed to get along with their sales team. Decidedly old school, I was in my mid-20s and they treated me like a toddler. The condescending looks I got while eyeing a bottle of the shelf and questions like, “do you know what decanting means?” just made it hard to love shopping there. Additionally, there was one time that a wine salesman of theirs was trying to sell some 2002 Jamet Cote-Rotie to a customer…not a bad thing if the price is right for a washed out vintage, but it was around $85 (if memory serves) and the salesman never mentioned how much of a minefield that vintage can be in the Northern Rhone. I started avoiding the sales team there and/or browsing online.

Then Weygandt opened, and I’ve rarely went back to CW unless shopping for cheese or meats.

Sorry just seeing this but when looking for wines from offbeat countries, try rodman’s on wisconsin ave in friendship heights.

Thanks! I dropped by MacArthurs today and picked up the 2008 and 2009 for the event tomorrow. Yes, not Cinco de Mayo, but noone is ever in the office on Mondays.

Its not just you. I’m much older than my 20s, and I still get that attitude from Calvert woodley and some of the guys at MacArthurs. Not the Italian guy though. The “Italian guy” at MacArthur’s is the best in the city for Italian stuff.

My only problem with Macarathur’s is that if they have to go back off the floor to get you some wine, it takes them forever. I find the salespeople quite reasonable.

I don’t buy much wine at CW anymore because one can always get a better price for things I like elsewhere and nothing about the salespeople inspires loyalty–and I’m an old man. There a great place for coffee, cheese and deli stuff.

I’ll add my voice to recommending Weygandt’s. Tim and Warren really watch out for you.

I agree with a lot of what Matt says. I have never found CW to be the friendliest of stores. However, they now have a really good person working there at least part time named Ben Gilberti. If you go there and Ben is in the store, look for him. Ben wrote the wine article in the Washington Post for many years (while he was a lawyer at Justice) and is a really good guy. He is especially knowledgable about Bordeaux (esp. traditionally made Bordeaux) and is a delight to talk and drink wine with.

[quote=“etomasi”]

Its not just you. I’m much older than my 20s, and I still get that attitude from Calvert woodley and some of the guys at MacArthurs. Not the Italian guy though. The “Italian guy” at MacArthur’s is the best in the city for Italian stuff.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

There are some people at MacArthurs (Bassins) that I really like. Phil Bernstein is the best guy at retail in this area for all things riesling (esp. German wines). Very passionate and very knowledgable. Mark Wessels is a delightful person who is an absolute expert on Bordeaux.

Who is the Italian guy there - don’t buy that much Italian wine and when I do usually just talk to Phil.

A few other wonderful people to deal with at wine stores in DC are Tim O’Rourke and Warren Leonard at Weygandt (Warren often participates on this board), Doug Rosen and Shem Hassen at the Arrowine in VA and Tom Kiszka at the Arrowine in DC. Arrowine has always been a top place for artisan wines in the area (that I don’t think has been mentioned above). I think the omission is because their original store was in northern Virginia (and thus did not meet the OP’s criteria), but their new store is in DC.

I seem to recall (perhaps incorrectly) that when Weygandt opened it only carried the wines they distributed. Is this the case? I remember being welcomed in the store, impressed by the number of different wines, but surprised that a number of things one would expect from a wine shop of that caliber were missing entirely.

As an old fart, I have never felt particularly welcomed by anyone at either Calvert or McArthurs. Businesslike, professional, but never particularly friendly. I’ve had MUCH more pleasant interactions at Arrowine, Wide World of Wines, and Schneider’s of Cap Hill. I do echo what Howard says about Ben Gilberti; a very knowledgeable and friendly guy.

The fact is, I spend so much time in the office and so many things going on in my non-work life, that getting to a wine shop just to browse is a rarity, so I don’t get to any of these stores often. It is simply much easier (and usually cheaper as well) to click the mouse a few times and have the stuff show up at my door.

Clicking a mouse works well when you want to buy only what you know or are willing to take gambles. Stores like Weygandt Wines and Arrowine are wonderful for their Saturday afternoon tastings where you get to try new things and taste before you buy.

True enough, Howard, but I am less inclined these days to be seeking out new wines and wine regions. As I age, my cellar fills, and my likes and dislikes become more established, my focus has narrowed. I rely less and less on critics, wine publications, and retailer suggestions as a result.

I have been exploring older riojas though, and doing so with great relish, so old dogs can learn new tricks I suppose.

Weygandt is mostly an outlet for Weygandt imports. Both Tim and Warren, though, have distinct AFWE leanings and do bring in other wines here and there. You can find Baudry there for instance and ESJ.

I find that sad. Certainly, I have more established tastes than I did when I was younger; but tasting new and interesting things, esp. for everyday wines, is still exciting. I hope I never lose that. One of my favorite things about wine is, even after all these years, knowing how little I know.

You want to feel what a cold shoulder is like? Go into CW and ask for a bottle under $20.

I also need to give a shout out to Ace Beverage for their liquor selection. (Full disclosure - I’m friends with Joe Riley, the liquor manager)

Agree on MacArthur and Phil is great on Rhone wines as well.

Arrowine in Arlington (have not been to the DC store, which opened relatively recently) is an excellent source for well-priced lesser-known wines.

Also agree on the sales staff at C-W (although I have never talked to Ben there), as I have gotten the same attitude when I have gone there.

Interesting discussion. I get more attitude at Bassins than I do at CW with the exception of Phil who is a nice guy and I’ve never found Mark Wessels to be that engaging but I’m not a huge customer. Pepe (sp) at CW is a personable gentleman and will happily recommend wines at all price levels. Tim and Warren are nice folks at Weygandt and they do have interesting wines I don’t see elsewhere. I kind of agree with Neal though-very easy, actually too easy, to click and ship.