Retailer Check: The Wine Connection at Pound Ridge, NY

Pound Ridge Wines & Spirits now up and running in the same location, not the store Max put together, which I miss, as I do Max.
NB they have no idea what happened to the wines in storage which is a shame, I assume no one can re-sell a technically already sold bottle?

3 Likes

Sorry just wanted to correct my earlier post the new store in pound ridge is not in the same location. Max’s store is still sadly empty.

1 Like

I just drank a couple of bottles I bought from Max back in 2018 and it made me reminisce a bit. He could be difficult at times, but he really loved wine and cared deeply about it. RIP.

1 Like

Store is still empty…

Did you every hear anything on your 18K or just wrote it off?

Hi,
No, never got a phone call or reply from the family. Just a shame!

I am a very big collector of wines all over the world, and buy an enormous amount every year from hundreds of retails/distributors/Chateau’s and have never had this happen to me. There was a ponzi retailer in SF (Premier Cru)that I was lucky to pulled out before it all went down many years ago.

My wine storage facility in NY would tell me a year before he passed , that customers were angry because he would not deliver on paid wines. I believe Max knew what he was doing, because for over a year I tried to get my wines from him.

Did you also lose money?

I knew Max, and he was actually a super super nice guy, I hate asking about wine when he lost his life at such an early age, in my mind I firmly believe he was always going to honor the deliveries (something he wasn’t the best at organizing during the best of times), but it just wasn’t a priority given what he was going through and how he wanted to spend his last days. I just wanted to understand what happened to the wine, it was in his basement, and the store sold but remains empty… (pretty sure we wont see it, and given what happened that’s something in the grand scheme of things that I am OK with, still wouldn’t mind finding out what happened though, I am hoping it was sold to help his family).