Retailer Caution: Wine Up Wine Merchant

(1) - Retailers do crazy closeouts all he time. Its not outside the realm of possibilites. I got some 2006 Jadot at prices that were almost free. That said in most cases trying to buy wine at such a massive discount is likely taking advantage of a retailer error and the nice thing to do is to point out the huge price discrepency which goes beyond simply confirming the price.
(2) - If they charge a different price than a confirmed price, then yes it is changing it.

It’s possible that an exchange such as this could be interpreted by the seller as something akin to asking about a discounted price for buying 6 e.g. if the seller offers 10% off for a half-case then the single bottle is $30 and the 6-bottle price is $27, which means you get 6 bottles for $162, not 6 for $27. I often see wines advertised this way - giving a per-bottle discounted price if you buy a case.

I think it’s clear that the retailer listed the wine incorrectly in W-S, and Bruce suspected this, which is why he made an effort to confirm the price. Given that such a miscommunication could have proceeded with both parties talking past each other, there’s absolutely no excuse for the seller doing anything besides offering a refund once the issue is clear.

My personal opinion, the only lesson Bruce should really be taking from this: If a store on the internet is offering something that seems too good to be true (for which a 6-pack of wine at price, I’m guessing, on the high end for a single bottle, would qualify) then you’re probably not dealing with a reputable operation. Run, don’t walk, away.

Bruce…Thanks for posting.

Please see my message below. [cheers.gif]

Please note that I felt sorry for Bruce also …and I have no issue for both sides

This.

An interesting offer, but that’s not what was on Wine-searcher, the retailer’s website, or their confirming email to me. The wine was advertised as a case price, not a per bottle price (discounted or otherwise).

Bruce

So Bruce, what part of “Dope-smoking Jew” are you actually denying? [snort.gif]

None!!

Not sure what the debate is all about. Who really cares what the original offer was? The retailer was a jackass, end of story. Whether or not they made an initial mistake is really irrelevant to the story. Very few people would have cared if they had said, oops. But when you throw in a religious insult, you deserved to be outed.

Due to the Consumer Protection Act there is a policy with SAQ in Quebec, Canada. If SAQ puts the wrong ( or lower ) price tag on any bottle of the their wines, the customer has the right to buy at least one bottle of the same wine with the wrong ( or lower ) price;( but not all the bottles were there - in any case there is a conspiracy between the customer and one of the staff ).

If the bottle is less than CAD $10, SAQ will give the customer a credit of $10 to the customer.

Googled image for “dope smoking jew”. Some would say pretty esteemed company.

I just did the same thing and the 4th image was Poppy:

Not that it matters given their comments, but was the price silly low? I mean, they have an offer for a 12 bottle case of Croft 2000. It’s listed at $91.99. No one should expect that that would be the price for the entire case.

[wow.gif]

Rick–Hard to say; the port in question was one I had not heard of prior to a month ago, and it did not appear to have wide distribution. Unlike the Croft.

It appears that Wine Up’s retail offers are no longer listed on Wine-Searcher, at least for the time being.

Bruce

+1 to Berry’s answer, except I would like to add the following to Berry’s answer to #1: Bruce did not assume he could get the low price, in fact, he went out of his way to confirm the price with the retailer – BOTH verbally (over the phone) AND in writing (via email), so I don’t see how the point you are making with your (1), Ron, is at all relevant here.

If it means anything, I’d say you’re pretty esteemed company.

[cheers.gif]

If you go their website. this is displayed in bolded letters:

Here at WineUp Wine merchants we strive to provide the most accurate and up to date information i.e. pricing, bottle size and vintage on all of the wines we offer through our online store.

[rofl.gif]

Tee-hee. Looks like someone is reading. [wink.gif]

Rick,
With all due respect, I’ve seen some crazy retail Port deals not far off from your example.

To defend Bruce, the price quoted was a very good deal but not what I would consider unrealistic for the particular Port he was looking at buying. And no I will not say what Port it was or what price it was. That is for Bruce to decide to do or not do.

everything is so secretive these days.