Retailer Caution: Wine Up Wine Merchant

? Bruce saw a sick price for a 6pack, he knew it was a bit too good to be true cause he later went to ask them directly and get it documented on email. When he found out that was the per bottle price he cancelled it.

This doesn’t excuse the behaviour by the store. I think we’d all do the same thing in his situation, confirm price for something we can’t believe price wise, once we get confirmation buy it. If the price is wrong when we get billed we cancel it.

Brian, I’m not going to get into a pissing contest with you. I didn’t say that he said or implied any such thing. I said what I believe. I am not defending the company or their behavior in any way, and have also excluded them from my searches, as their behavior is inexcusable. But I will continue to believe that he saw a price that was too good to believe, attempted to give them a chance to correct it, and when they didn’t, placed an order. But he still knew it was too good to be true, IMO. If they had come back and simply (and professionally) told him that it was per bottle, I believe he would have simply cancelled the order and we would never have heard about it.

Chuck–To an extent, you are correct. The price on WS appeared to be an extremely good deal. I emailed the merchant, in part, to make sure that the price was correct and that there wasn’t a mistake. And, indeed, if they had come back professionally and said that a pricing mistake had been made, I would have cancelled the order and that would have been the end of it. No harm, no foul.

HOWEVER, when the retailer confirms the price in an email to me, and then charges me a different price and bills my credit card without shipping the product, we are obviously in different territory than just an honest mistake. The emails I received from the merchant after I noticed the discrepancy also suggest to me that we weren’t dealing with just an honest mistake…

Bruce

I hear what you’re saying, Chuck. Here’s the rub, though: anytime a retailer lists (and confirms!) a price that is “too good to be true” then the customer isn’t supposed to place an order? [scratch.gif]

Laugh out loud!!! I opened this video link, looked at the guy who says “back in a minute” and cuts to a video intro with background music of “Pump it Up”. I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s possible to rule out 'roid rage:)

But more to the point, the behavior of this merchant is outrageous and inexcusable under any circumstances. I’m not sure what “good price” means, but if it was anywhere 1/4 retail or less, problems of some sort could probably be anticipated. The merchant’s behavior…not so much.

Gotta love the huge cross on the table in the back! [wow.gif]

“Rehab is for quitters” tee shirt? rolleyes

[welldone.gif] Missed that!!!:slight_smile:

I watched a minute or two more of the video, until my “D*ckhead Meter” blew apart.

OK, Brian, last time. Apparently it isn’t MY reading comprehension that should be questioned. Where did I say (or imply) that he shouldn’t have placed an order? Especially when Bruce has already confirmed EXACTLY what I said I believed?

What was your point in saying this?:

I do think that Bruce probably knew that the price was too good to be for 6 btls, and was in fact per bottle.

That the same guys probably have a bridge for sale in New York, and would like to get in touch with you because a friend would like to get some money out of Nigeria.

It’s written in English. I meant exactly what I said. Buh-bye.

But why would you make such a statement? Your statement was irrelevant; for that reason, when it’s stated in such a contex, it operates to minimalize Bruce’s (legitimate) concerns. Furthermore, it leads readers to believe that you’re implying things, as readers will naturally seek meaning in (apparently) meaningless and/or irrelevant statements.

You guys disagree. We get it.

No you don’t get it! Where does it say they disagree!? [snort.gif] flirtysmile neener

What port was it? And what was the price quoted?

Chuck…I felt sorry for you. You gave an honest opinion - which may not by popular with most of the poster; but I love what you are doing. [cheers.gif]

What I would like to know is the exact contents of the e-mail which Bruce sent to them to confirm the price listed ? Did he specifically ask them the price was for one bottle only or the price listed was for total of 6 bottles ?

For exmaple : let say the price listed for for 15,99 ? Did he ask them if he order a case of 6, what would be the price ? I know those questions look stupid - but it will avoid any problem.

Please note that I felt sorry for Bruce also …and I have no issue for both sides.

This is what happens when you smoke dope!!

Peter–I specifically asked the merchant if the price was for a case of six bottles.

At the expense of stating the obvious, I did not post on this subject to have anyone “feel sorry” for me. And unlike some other past threads on similar issues, I am not trying to force the merchant to sell me the wine at the listed price. If the listed price was incorrect, then I didn’t want the wine and that should have been the end of it.

The issue, rather, is that a merchant quoted me one price, then charged me a different price. Moreover, the charge was made to my credit card even before the wine was to ship, and in fact the merchant never shipped me the wine at issue. Moreover, when I protested the change in price, the merchant chose to send me messages that were exceedingly inappropriate.

What the rest of the WB board chooses to do (or not do) based on this information is up to them.

Best, Bruce

Not sure why I am wading into this one, but I figured I’d try to explain why some folks may believe that one minor part of the problem here may be due to miscommunication regarding a price that was too good to be true (I am one of those folks). I would like to emphasize that the behavior of this retailer is reprehensible. No question about it. But as to the pricing…

Suppose the average online price of the wine was $20. You see a price at this place quoting $30, for 6 bottles. You get excited thinking you can buy $120 worth of wine for $30. You ask the retailer if the price of $30 is for 6 bottles and he says “yes.” You see a charge on your credit card of $180 (which happens to be 6 multiplied by $30).

I guess the two outstanding questions are:
(1) is it realistic to assume that you can get $120 worth of wine for $30 or is it possible that the clarifying language was used loosely, because the idea that 6 bottles would be sold for $30 total was out of the universe of possibilities; and
(2) is it fair to say that the retailer charged a “different” price if the final price was merely the advertised price multiplied by 6 (again, suggesting the “6 bottle” language was the culprit).

Every other action by this retailer is inexcusable, and clearly the reason for the post (thanks!), but as to the pricing, what do you say about (1) and (2) above?

Cheers!