Restaurant Server Pet Peeves

It’s bad enough with my snark - throwing that out there GUARANTEES bodily fluid in our food

I always carry cash. Several awesome places here that take nothing but.

New place here just opened that doesn’t take cash.

These crazy kids

I haven’t had an ATM card for about 10 years. I actually wouldn’t know how I could get cash. If a place is too stupid to not take squared (or the like), I can take my business elsewhere. I am thinking the last place I used cash was Jay’s Jayburger and that is long gone.

Full disclosure, I do bum cash off my wife so that I can tip at airport lounges. She babysits and sometimes gets paid in cash.

Sorry for the thread drift!

J

My hair bristled just reading your post. I HATE that.

EXACTLY!

I once explained to a server that by using that phrase, he was implying that it might be a problem at some other point in time.

When I sit down and thank the server/waitron/food slave after they hand me the menu and they reply with “no worries”.

Getting the bill halfway through a meal because the waiter is finishing their shift and wants the tip (casual places in the US only).

Champagne trolleys, with no prices. A friend (who owns restaurants with a total of seven Michelin stars) told me once he insists on asking for all the prices and the pour sizes when that happens.

When they walk up and immediately interrupt our conversation to ask how the food is. Make eye contact, and if I don’t ask, you are free to head off.

European waitstaff are much better at this…be available but don’t bother me.

I think some of you are a little harsh on some of this, but I agree with this, totally.

Again, as long as they don’t do a disappearing act i’m usually ok with service. However, disappearing really is inexcusable to me, I have zero tolerance for it. Sitting with dirty plates a long time, being slow to take an order or refill drinks, having no explanation of why dishes are delayed, etc. are big pet peeves of mine.

So you’re saying you are horripilated just contemplating it. You should get that looked at . . .

+1

Seated for 5 minutes without even an acknowledgement.

No bread or water or any pre-order items.

Sloshing water into water glasses requiring table and plate cleanup.

No cursory chips and salsa in a Mexican restaurant. [more the owner policy than a server issue]

Clearing plates before all are finished.

Clearing my plate when I`m not finished.

When this happens, I say calmly, “The last person who tried to do that has fork marks in the back of his hand.”

Good one. I`ll use that next time. Is that called a hand off?

I do smile at the end to let them know I wasn’t being literal.

I absolutely love the European custom of letting you linger after the meal to allow you to finish your conversation or just relax. I detest it when waitstaff hovers over your table prompting you to leave without actually saying the words.

We’ve had experiences where upon making the reservation or before sitting it’s explained that the restaurant needs the table back by a certain time. I’m fine with that so long as it’s said up front.

Totally agree on both points. We`re in Amsterdam now for a month and have had LONG, relaxing dinners without any push or even an inclination for such.

Serving me before my Wife. Taking my order before my Wife’s.

Pouring a full galss of wine. ‘that’s how we do it btg’

+100 on bringing entrées before the starters are finished/cleared and clearing dishes while others are still eating.

Id add these to my list as well. Ive had full glasses poured without even the small advanced taste pour. One gets an immediate clue on the wine savviness of the server and probably his boss.