Report Back Here: 2011 red and white burgundy with/without Greenie Meanies (GMs)

Bertheau has no table de trie. Trie in the vineyards. I harvested in Chambolle in '11, LOTS OF ROT, volatile acidity…

Thanks for putting this up, Jonathan. This is the concrete stuff that we need…unless of course you have an agenda??
[stirthepothal.gif]

Jon and I have an agenda - get in line for the great allocations that everyone else passes on!

I am very sensitive to the GM in the 04s, and was sensitive pretty much from the moment they were bottled, even before it was a thing. I haven’t picked it up in the 11’s.

Lafarge '11 VS and Clos des Chenes. Both FANTASTIC GORGEOUS DREAMY SWOONWORTHY. Zilcho green.
Rossignol '11 Santenots, Cailleret, Chanlins, Chevret, Clos des Mouches, Clos du Roy, Heritiere, Bourgogne, Ronceret. No green, not even overt stemminess in all but the Mouches. (they almost all have stems)
Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne some VA
Hudelot Noellat Beaumonts, Chambolle Charmes, Chambolle villages, Vosne villages, Murgers. No green.
Bertheau '11 villages, '11 1er, '11 Charmes. Weirdo VA, lessening as you climb the hierarchy.
Bize '11 Guettes, Vergelesses, Forneaux. Stems. The skies are falling.
Audoin Marsannay Champs Salomon, Longeroies, Marie Ragonneau. Some light stems.
Lamy '11 DCE rouge. A bit austerely tannic, but what the heck, it’s a St Aubin rouge!
Lamy '11 Chataigners, Princee, Tremblots, Chateniere, DCE, Remilly, Macherelles, Meix, no green.
I’ll edit as I think of others that i’ve had/am trying this week with producers.

I have tasted the following 2011 red wines from bottle with no trace of GM and I am ultra sensitive

2011 N. Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Chevret
2011 N. Rossignol Volnay 1er Cru Roncerets
2011 N. Rossignol Pommard 1er Cru Fremiers
2011 Dom Pavelot SLB 1er Cru Dominode
2011 Dujac Clos de la Roche
2011 C. Serafin Gevrey-Chambertin
2011 C. Serafin Gevrey-Chambertin VV
2011 Cecile Tremblay Chambolle-Musigny Les Cabottes
2011 L’Arlot Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Suchots

Whew. Thank goodness it’s just rot and not GM!

I visited with Francois a few hours ago. I confronted him SPECIFICALLY about VA, ladybugs, and everything in between. He said this is the first that he has heard any odd feedback. He then went and grabbed a bottle of the '11 1er, popped it. The slightest hint of weirdo VA was in and out, and I was looking to scrutinize to find something awful to critique. Then I took another sip…mmm. That’s pretty good…another sip…mmmm…even with some rot, I was charmed. Same thing happened at the tasting I staged. People had some head scratcher “what the heck”, but when the food came, they were asking, “can I have some more?”, passing on some other not “weirdo” wines…

Opened tonight:

2011 Camille Giroud Gevrey-Chambertin Les Crais:
Mineral, spice and redder fruits on the nose. With more aeration, floral notes and cranberry really come out. On the palate, succulent red and darker fruit (strawberry, black cherry) and a dash of spice are there with a luscious texture and a fresh finish where a hint of earth comes out. Delicious today with a lot of baby fat and a chalky backbone.

Sorry for the delay in getting back - had a great lunch today with notes to follow :slight_smile:. The '04 Greenie Meanies were missed (for the most part) and not really discussed by many which was/is an problem! Would love to try and get ahead of this if possible which is why the question is even being asked. Soooo, using the definition of GMs as “Pyrazine like flavors and/or scents - overtly green and chemical in nature - overt high toned broccoli - also can be described as crushed lady bugs.” This should not including stem like flavors/scents that are a part of the wines from producers whom use stems during vinification? - do we have a problem brewing? Just checking my '11s that are available - I’ll have many many more available once I can get some sent to me. This tasting is for scientific purposes only :slight_smile:!

Ask any neuroscientist out there - the verbalization and sharing of the sense of smell/taste can be very hard so I attempted to get to an accepted “definition” of the Greenie Meanies (see above). Try and use this definition when evaluating the '11s if you can.

P.S. I’ll get a list going on post #1 with + and - next to each producer/wine. + meaning (YES = Greenie Meanies present) and - (NO = Greenie Meanies NOT present).

This thread should be stickied.

Opened tonight

2011 Paul Pernot Beaune Clos du Dessus des Marconnets (Monopole)
An overwhelming green streak mutes the rest of the nose. A little fruit and earth on the palate but the finish is disjointed and vegetal. Recorked…will revisit tomorrow just to see where this goes.

An example of a wine that is marked with some sort of GM whether from rot, ladybugs or something else, I do not know. What I do know is that this is exactly the kind of wine Kevin and Bill are referencing with GM. Reminds me of many 04s I had shortly after release.

Went back to try the Charmes which has been sitting in the fridge for a week. The unpleasant bitterness is still there and the smell could have been rot or green. Can’t tell. Certainly couldn’t be described as pretty the way 08 and 10 were (which I enjoyed so much I have 3 cases worth between the 2 vintages). This is hard to drink.

I’ll straight up trade you my my remaining 2011 1er and Charmes for 08 or sell at a 50% loss. Will open the Amoureuses Friday.

There are two 2011 Dujac MSD, Domaine and Fils et Pere. Some on Cellartracker may confuse the two. I had the Domaine from bottle last month and noted no GM’s. Also had Maison Ilan 2011’s from barrel in Sept. 2012 and noted no GM’s.

Tim,
I am fully aware and this was the domaine bottling.

If everyone is going to post on the problems with Burgundy we are going to need a bigger thread. Just kidding. I tasted the 2011 Dom. Jacques Girardin Borgogne VV couple of days ago. No GM to be found. And ordered three bottles. Nothing rich and complex, but nice flavors. The 2010 Santenay Clos Rousseau is very nice.

I had no doubt that you knew the difference, Kevin. My point was that some people who post to cellartracker may not, and I don’t think it was specified which one was tasted in previous posts by you or Steve.

Updated in post #1

+1

2011 Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits Chaignots was a bit reticent on the nose, but ultra silky on the palate and delicious. On the cool and approachable side. Really fantastic. Consider me another one who considers this vintage more 2007 than 2004.

Speaking of 2004, my biggest problem with that vintage going in was the high alcohol levels combined with the thin skins. I think that these wines were never balanced and never will be (with exceptions out of the 95% CI, I’m sure) whether or not you can deal with the pyrazines (does anyone know for sure that these wines have a higher level of pyrazines? That seems like a matter of fact, not conjecture.).