Red wine recommendation for a steak dinner

I like Champagne, and certainly you can drink it (better a ros’e) to a steak, but for me it’s far from ideal -

1 Like

right, yes! are you familiar with the producer/vintage? what’s the ageability of chianti?

thank you, any specific favorites?

The list of recommendations so for that fit my interests and price range:

1. 2018 Brunello di Montalcino Toskana Argiano 97 €
  2. 2012 Barolo Piemont Scarzello 104 €
  3. 1993 Chianti Classico Riserva Toskana Luciano Bruni 91 €

Sorry, if I forgot something (let me know) and thanks for all the advice!

1 Like

I am going to be a bit contrarian but I am not a fan of Sangiovese with steak.

I would consider instead the Penfolds Bin 128. It is a bit young but should pair nicely.

1 Like

No, not personally. My thought process was that there is a fairly deep italian section, so whoever put together the list has an interest in these wines, and it was worth a punt. Hopefully someone with specific knowledge can chime in, but i doubt that you will go far wrong as it looks like an interesting place.

1 Like

It was my **favourite amongst the low-middle Penfolds Bin wines, for its more restrained profile, but I’m very much an outlier here, with Aussie opinion firmly the opposite. When you could get it for £10 two decades ago, I found it decent to good value. At current prices it’s an easy pass, like the rest of the Penfolds range.

** Going back a little further to the 1990s, Bin 2 Shiraz/Mourvedre in the Rhone shaped bottle was a silly bargain at £3. The move to a Bdx bottle, with a doubling of the price, and reducing the quality in the bottle saw its value removed.

1 Like

updated, thank you:

• 2018 Brunello di Montalcino Toskana Argiano 97 €
  • 2012 Barolo Piemont Scarzello 104 €

• 1993 Chianti Classico Riserva Toskana Luciano Bruni 91 €

• 2021 Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz Australien Penfolds 96 €

I’ll add my vote for the 2000 Talbot.

1 Like

I would consider the Marchese Antinori Chianti- it uses grapes from the Tignanello vineyards and is mostly Sangiovese with a splash of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. If it isn’t shutdown it could very well be the best Italian red on that list.

1 Like

Thank you, updated:

2018 Brunello di Montalcino Toskana Argiano 97 €
2012 Barolo Piemont Scarzello 104 €
1993 Chianti Classico Riserva Toskana Luciano Bruni 91 € ? (thoughts, experiences?)
2021 Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz Australien Penfolds 96 €
2020 Chianti Classico Riserva Villa Antinori Toskana Marchese Antinori 69 €
Lagrein?

I’m not familiar with the producers on the list, but it’s a very distinctive grape, very deep and savory flavors. This looks like a good opportunity to give one a try. I can’t say anything else on the list strikes me as all that intriguing.

1 Like

This is the current list of recommendations:

2018 Brunello di Montalcino Toskana Argiano 97 €
2012 Barolo Piemont Scarzello 104 €
1993 Chianti Classico Riserva Toskana Luciano Bruni 91 €
2021 Bin 128 Coonawarra Shiraz Australien Penfolds 96 €
2020 Chianti Classico Riserva Villa Antinori Toskana Marchese Antinori 69 €

Lagrein was also recommended. Let me know in case if you favor any of the vintages/producers. Does anybody have experiences with the 1993 Chianti vintage or Luciano Bruni wines? I am thinking of either going for the 2020 Chianti Classico Riserva Villa Antinori or the 2012 Barolo from Scarzello.

Paul - my $0.02 (that may not be worth even that to you) worth of experience since you seem to be new to wine: unless this is a special evening that you want to be perfect (and even then . . . ), no need to overthink this. Either of those (and the others) will go well with a steak dinner. Some people love the geek part of geeking out over this hobby and that is fine if that is what you like about it. Just enjoy the dinner out with a nice bottle of wine.

4 Likes

Echoing this - steak is generally a flexible partner for red wines, so unless there’s some wacky sauce (that IMO good steak doesn’t need), it should be a good match for a wide range of red wines, at a wide range of maturity.

2 Likes

While I think the Marchese Antinori is a great value Chianti at retail and one I enjoy, this price isnt a bargain relative to the others on your list. Additionally it’s widely distributed (at least near me) and I’d be much more interested in trying the other harder to find options on your list even though they’re a bit more expensive.

4 Likes