Red wine recommendation for a steak dinner

2000 Talbot @160 seems to be a bargain.

2 Likes

Well, standard wisdom in the US for steak would be a Bordeaux or a CA cab. I don’t know that Italian wines wouldn’t work just as well, it’s just not he classic combination in these parts. Given that, I’d second the recommendation for the 2000 Talbot.

Added: of course a true Berserker will if possible first pick the wine and then choose the sauce. :wine_glass:

2 Likes

The 2018 Argiano is gorgeous.

1 Like

Well, Tuscany does amazing steaks so a top-end Brunello would fit the bill.

1 Like

Bistecca alla Fiorentina and Brunello are a match made in heaven.

1 Like

I just had a 2018 Mastrojanni that was excellent. I think 2018 will be a somewhat overlooked vintage.

1 Like

I see your tannic note and raise you acidity. Champagne is a great steak dinner wine.

lots of fat, butter, cream, oil…

3 Likes

We’ll have a glass of Roederer 244 as an entree.

2 Likes

not entree? :joy:

1 Like

Ah apologies, corrected that mistake :wink: thanks

1 Like

Knipser wasn’t on my radar yet, so thanks! I’ve never even heard of a German Bordeaux blend, sounds interesting.

Didn’t even take this into account yet, thanks for flagging it

Agreed, but unfortunately above my price range, gotta draw the line somwhere…

I don’t even know if they’re offering any U.S. Wines. They’re pretty hard to find in Germany

As a Burgundy drinker, you must realize that lines are fluid…

3 Likes

What about Luciano Brunii Chianti Classico ‘93 for €91? Looks interesting …

1 Like

Try one of the Lagreins.

Having had this wine a few times in blind tastings, I really can’t agree with the assessment. Both times people thought it was a new world Cab, I guessed a 2009 was a Chilean Cab from a cooler climate.

It’s a pretty good wine, but it has never made me - nor people I taste with - think it’s from Bordeaux.

1 Like

I believe the mix varies from year to year, and with time it had become more Merlot dominated. The last Cuvee X I had was 20 + years old (yes, you can age them), and it did well against French competition. But don’t all clarets (or Reds for that matter) start converging after a while?
Let‘s leave it at Good Cool Climate Red.

2 Likes