Red Burgundy sleepers

But they lost the VV plot after 2011.

Just 15-20% new. I do not associate Gouges and heavy oak.

Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle Musigny
Jouan Morey St. Denis
Dublere Bourgogne Blanc
Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc
Anything from Domaine de Moirots

Louis Jadot Corton Pougets
Chandon de Briailles Corton Bressandes
JM Pillot Clos St Jean Rouge
Bellene Petits Monts

Yes.

No question; vines are now over 100 years-old in Chassagneā€™s sweet spot for reds. Paul Pillotā€™s vines are not as old, but it probably qualifies as well.

Another, since fight club rules donā€™t apply: Pierre Guillemot Savigny-les-Beaune Narbantons. Guillemotā€™s Serpentieres (lean and willowy), Jarrons (more flesh and concentration), and Gravains (youngish vines, but perfectly placed at the top of the vineyard; the most stony/mineral cuvee) are all exceptional for the money if one enjoys pale, fragrant, savory wine, but the Narbantons has something beguiling that sets it apart. Sadly, it is Guillemotā€™s smallest production cuvee and savvy Burgundy buyers gobble it up.

Another underrated producer that is rarely discussed is Rossignol-Trapet. I see a 2001 Latricieres Chambertin from them right now for $175 on Cellar Tracker and that is just a steal for a top knotch mature Grand Cru Burgundy. [I tasted this at the winery last summer and bought some from the winery.]

I second the Moreau Bourgogne Blanc recommendation!

I tend to like the wines of Rossignol-Trapet more than those of their cousins. It would be fun to taste the two estates side by side.

Do you get mor elegance out of the Rossignol Trapets?

With the caveat that Iā€™m not a fan of most Pommard and NSG because I find the fruit/tannin balance is too much oriented to the latter for my palate, here is my list. Iā€™ve tried to confine this list to wines available in Europe for $125 or less. (Some of the 2015s like Dā€™Angerville Ducs and Jadot CSJ, wonā€™t be available at that price based on the early pricing.):

Angerville Volnay Clos de Ducs
Angerville Volnay Champans
Barthod Chambolle Les Cras
Bonneau du Martray Corton
Bouchard Corton
Chandon de Briailles Corton Clos du Roi
Bruno Clair Gevrey Clos St. Jacques
Clavelier Chambolle Musigny Combe dā€™Orveaux VV
Chateau de la Tour Clos Vougeot
Clos Frantin VR Malconsorts
Dubreuil-Fontaine Corton Clos du Roi
Michel Gaunoux Corton Renardes
Hospice de Beaune Volnay Cuvee Jehan de Massol
Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis VV (very hard to find, particularly at a good price)
Jadot Gevrey Clos St. Jacques
Lafon Volnay Santenots du Milieu
Montille Corton Clos du Roi
Pousse Dā€™Or Corton Bressandes
Pousse Dā€™Or Corton Clos du Roi
Rapet Corton
Rapet Corton Pougets
Tollot Beaut Corton Bressandes

1 Like

And I prefer Trapet (although I like R-T also)
This has the makings of a great offline!

@Don Cā€“Thanks, I forgot about Rapet.

Good list. A lot of Cortons for me to try! I like these a lot.

Yes, although I think of Rossignol Trapet as making relatively muscular wines. Sometimes reminds me of Jadot in style.

Yep. [cheers.gif]

Jean Chauvenet Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru Les Poulettes. This domaine has a wide range of Nuits-St.-Georges 1er crus, at the top being Vaucrains. However, it has a tiny parcel of old vines situated on a steep fault in this relatively unknown vineyard just above Perrieres. The parcel is so small that the juice usually gets blended into the domaineā€™s Nuits-St.-George AOC, but it is sometimes bottled on its own. The old vines and warm site make for a concentrated wine that typically has more red fruit elegance than the darker-fruited, more soil-driven wines from south Nuits. An added bonus is that it is less expensive than the domaineā€™s other 1er crus due, I believe, to is obscurity. The 2011, being a moderately ripe vintage, is a lovely bottle.

Never have had any R-T myself, only Trapet, so agree it would be a fun offline!

Also agree with Don re: Pousse dā€™Or. Would love to buy a couple cases from them every year, would be a good component of a cellar.

Had a bottle of 1983 Pousse dā€™Or Clos des 60 Ouvreess a year and a half ago: very, very nice.

This category of wines makes up the bulk of my holdings. Here are some favorites off the top of my head:

Faiveley Cazetiers and Combes aux Moines, among others
Billard-Gonnet Chaponnieres and Rugiens-Bas
Violot-Guillemard Pommard 1ers
Pousse 60 Ouvrees and Bousse
Jadot Rugiens, among others
Drouhin Beaune Greves and Chambolle 1er
Lafarge Volnay VS and Beaune Greves
Remoriquet Malconsorts
Gouges (anything)
Clavelier (anything, but creeping up in price)
Jean-Marc Bouley (anything, but creeping up in price)

I consider the lower-level wines from Fourrier, Dujac, Mugneret-Gibourg and the like to be priced out of, or too trendy, for this thread.

Thank you to all for sharing your insights. Looking forward (or going back if you wish), please share what distinguishes a wine that you have identified and/or describe it stylistically.

Too much work.

In the case of my list, I define ā€œsleepersā€ as wines that are either slightly below the radar in terms of name recognition among collectors or are well known but clearly below the prevailing (absolutely outrageous) pricing levels, and that manage to deliver very consistent high quality performance year after year (roughly 93 points on the Burghound and Tanzer scale) at pricing at $125 or under based on the pricing in Europe. In other words, these are, in my view, the very best of whatā€™s out there in the under $125 price range (excluding Pommard and NSG for the reasons previously explained):

Angerville Volnay Clos de Ducs
Angerville Volnay Champans
Barthod Chambolle Les Cras
Bonneau du Martray Corton
Bouchard Corton
Chandon de Briailles Corton Clos du Roi
Bruno Clair Gevrey Clos St. Jacques
Clavelier Chambolle Musigny Combe dā€™Orveaux VV
Chateau de la Tour Clos Vougeot
Clos Frantin VR Malconsorts
Dubreuil-Fontaine Corton Clos du Roi
Michel Gaunoux Corton Renardes
Hospice de Beaune Volnay Cuvee Jehan de Massol
Hubert Lignier Morey St. Denis VV (very hard to find, particularly at a good price)
Jadot Gevrey Clos St. Jacques
Lafon Volnay Santenots du Milieu
Montille Corton Clos du Roi
Pousse Dā€™Or Corton Bressandes
Pousse Dā€™Or Corton Clos du Roi
Rapet Corton
Rapet Corton Pougets
Tollot Beaut Corton Bressandes