Red Burgundy for a California Pinot Lover

Hi All. Like many others who age, my tastes are migrating from Cabernet to Pinot. I have gathered a good collection of the Sonoma/Santa Barbara/Santa Rita Hills top providers (e.g., Aubert, Oxy, Martinelli, Lato, Sanford, etc.) and am loving them and now have access to ample supplies at somewhat reasonable prices (certainly compared to high end cabs).

I am interested in seeing if I should add red Burgundies to my cellars for future drinking, but find the prices, aging windows and general scores daunting for a trial. By that I mean it seems very difficult to conduct a reasonable trial of several red burgs to see if I should start adding material inventory to my cellar. Seems like most of the burgs available today are either theyā€™re too young, ridiculously expensive or have mediocre ratings (typically Cellartracker community).

So my ask is what would you in this community recommend for a couple bottles available today through reliable secondary markets that would give me a good sense of what I can expect from a mature high quality red burg. Iā€™m thinking $100-250, nearing or at prime drinking windows.

Alternatively, if anyone wants to trade a burg or two in their cellar for an equivalent value California Pinot (or cab for that matter), ping me privately to discuss. Iā€™m all ears.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s still a fair amount if Chevillon from before 2010 in the market in the $200s, Cailles and Vaucrains, LSG if you luck out. 2009 I would buy for myself without hesitation, check with others back to 2002.

1 Like

Iā€™m obviously biased here, but you might consider a side trip to Oregon as well. Maybe I only think this because Iā€™m here, but I think youā€™ll wrap your head around the Willamette Valley quicker (and cheaper) than Burgundy.

Iā€™ll leave it to others who are impartial to make specific recommendations, though.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Michael,

Based on the domestic producers you enjoy, it seems like youā€™ll be searching potentially for a riper style of pinot? I donā€™t mean that in a ā€˜goodā€™ or ā€˜badā€™ way - but it just seems that perhaps thatā€™s where your ā€˜sweet spotā€™ is for the variety?

Daveā€™s points are valid - though again, based on the producers that you prefer, Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll dig a lot of the less ripe, more acid and earth driven pinots out of the Willamette Valley. Yes, I know that this is a bit of an ā€˜over generalizationā€™, but Iā€™m just trying to narrow in what you may like.

If Iā€™m off base, excuse me - but again, just seems you are looking at a particular ā€˜styleā€™ rather than a region.

Cheers

Chevillon wouldnā€™t be my suggestion for someone looking for a Sonoma-styled burgundy. At that price range, Iā€™d recommend post 2007 Faiveley.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t read the OP as asking for a CA styled Burg. Guess I missed that.

1 Like

Todd has a badge for that, Double Eagle or Albatross.

If bigger, riper Pinot is your preference, youā€™re probably going to find Burgundy less appealing, IMO. Nothing wrong with that, too. If youā€™re truly curious, Iā€™d grab a few bottles in the 7-10 year range off of WineBid from villages like Fixin, Marsannay, Pommard that offer better value so you can quickly determine if this is worth going deeper into for you. Producer matters a lot, but if youā€™re just exploring, itā€™s not a bad idea to start with something like Drouhin or Jadot for availability. Bruno Clair might be a good bet too for value while exploring.

4 Likes

Thanks gentlemen and I think Larry has me nailed. Iā€™ve had a few Oregon wines (Patricia Green, Purple Hands mostly following a visit there 5 years ago) and did find them somewhat too lean and/or acidic for me. Guess that means I do like the riper style.

So given that, your thoughts?

Mike

Iā€™m not necessarily asking for a California style burgundy. Iā€™m not knowledgeable on red burgs at all and am wondering if I might like some of them. Give that Iā€™m giving up on high end cabs (translation, often in the $100-300+ range) I can afford to occasionally have a nice burg. So trying to find out if there are any I may like. Donā€™t really know which villages or vineyards or producers may be lean or ripe.

So as stated earlier, given that I like ripe california pinot and donā€™t like lean Oregon, does that provide a better roadmap? (Not to say that the guidance so far isnā€™t helpful?)

Thanks all for your comments to date.

Mike

2 Likes

Why do you want to drink/buy PN from Burgundy? Given your preference for ā€œriperā€ style, there are likely better areas for you to explore.

3 Likes

I would start with wines from the Cotes Challonaise. Two producers I like are Moirots and Juillot. Wine By The Bottle ā€” Tagged "Country: France, Region: Burgundy" ā€” Weygandt Wines? Faiveley makes fabulous wines from Mercury. William Kelley is an expert on this region and listen to him for other (better?) recommendations. Go to more expensive wines from the more famous Cote Dā€™Or if you like these. No reason to overspend until you know whether you like the style.

1 Like

Maybe search out more fruit forward vintages like ā€˜18.

Post 2008 Faiveley might be to your taste, especially warm years like 09/15/18-19-20. Bouchard reds also.

If you find Oregon PN too lean/acidic, I think youā€™ll come to a similar conclusion with Burgundy. But if you want to splurge once to test that out, and youā€™re willing to put some cash on the line, grab a Domaine Dujac Morey St Denis (ā€˜18 may fit your ripeness preference). If that doesnā€™t do it for you, then, hey, at least you know!

3 Likes

Itā€™s apples and oranges. Thereā€™s no comparison between Burgundy and California Pinot. Unless youā€™re willing to sit on your wine for 5 to 10 years, youā€™re not going to get what you paid for with burgundy.

1 Like

Agree, those vintages are going to have more of the fullness and ripeness that gives more of a chance you might like them.

Iā€™m not a Burg expert, but I think Gevrey Chambertin is a village which tends to be relative darker and richer for Burg.

Here is a specific wine for the experts to consider: 2009 Bouchard Baby Jesus

https://www.benchmarkwine.com/winery/216-bouchard-pere-et-fils?matched_wine_ids=596

Vintage, producer, age seem like a relative better fit? Also perfect for Christmas season.

3 Likes

My other suggestion is to get a Fourrier Gevrey VV from a recent vintage.

3 Likes

iā€™d try for regions with well reputed producers in ripe years. do you like aged wines? if so i would look toward riper older vintages. again i would go for the most reputable producers that fit your budget.

i would also read tasting profiles to see if you prefer more black fruited or red fruited pinots. some regions to try are Volnay 1er cru, Morey St Denis, and Gevery Chambertin. from reputatable producers you could also try the village wines in more recent vintages. many of the leading producers on the board that are mentioned in recent vintages are by nature riper style in 2018 to 2020.

are you asking about reds or whites? for whites you can select by village to find the village that suits you best.

Rather than splurging for a single bottle, find out if there are tastings in your area. Your local retailers may have some leads. A friend in DC was telling me about a great tasting of Burgundies with a large cross section of the region. Failing that, gather a few friends and share the cost of several bottles.

3 Likes