Recs for solo wining and dining in Boston?

Hello Bostonian WBers,

I have a mid-week conference for work in Boston. I’ll be on my own. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for good places to eat/drink solo, especially for a wine bar type place with a good list and decent food. I’m staying downtown at the Omni Parker House, near the government center, and I’d prefer not to stray too far.

Thanks!!!
Noah

2 Likes

My favorite wine restaurant/bar is Troquet on South. The sommelier/owner, Chris, is always full of helpful suggestions. Food is very good, but I go for the wine list.

3 Likes

Troquet on South, good food and BTG selection. I like to sit at the bar and dine solo when I’m in town for work. Solid wine list too, go for a bottle with dinner and take the rest back to your hotel.

3 Likes

I like deuxave for food.

1 Like

It’s not a wine destination, but my go-to spot is Neptune Oyster, in the North End. It has some of America’s best oysters and excellent everything else (including a superb hot buttered lobster roll). Fun, energetic atmosphere although the wait can be long. Not too far from downtown.

7 Likes

Troquet on South.

4 Likes

Neptune is great but you have to show up before they open or wait hours

1 Like

Nothing is far from downtown by the standards of other cities, not even Cambridge.

Troquet is a good suggestion. Also, Bar á Vin 1855.

3 Likes

When my daughter was doing auditions a month ago we ate at Troquet on South based on recos here. Good list and atmosphere, the food seemed like ‘fine dining’ from the 1990s, pleasant enough. There was a handful of really good Bordeaux values with depth in that part of the list, limited Burgs still with a couple of things I wondered about, ended up with fairly old Leoville Barton which had been well stored. Service was quite good.

3 Likes

Troquet or Bin 26. Both have bar seating and good wine lists.

3 Likes

Piling on with the recommendation for Troquet. Chris is a real gentleman.

4 Likes

Noticed thread hijacking is highly encouraged on WB during my 1 year as a member. I happen to have two Burgundy bottles at a wine shop in Boston suburb, Milton I believe at Craft and Cru. Members of my wineclub thought they might be in Boston on business this year but so far it hasn’t materialized. Anyone game to pickup and ship to me and I’ll buy a bottle of something for the effort? They can’t ship to FL. Just throwing it out there.

Thanks for any consideration!

1 Like

I think you’re better off making an individual thread for this, I’m confident someone can help you out.

3 Likes

Ostra, On Charles St.
Bar takes reservations, full menu at the bar. Great seafood and a really nice paella if you want something different. Nice wine list.

1 Like

Last time I was up, had a great time at Menton, did the tasting menu with a wine pairing.

1 Like

I did not have a great time at Menton the one time I was there, fwiw–service poor, food so so. I liked no9 Park, but my go to Troquet South.

Can’t speak to table service, I ate at the bar which had the full menu and had no complaints. Had no issues with the food though.

Troquet, Ostra (best fish), B&G Oyster, Saltie Girl

Neptune at off hours.

3 Likes

It’s been a few years, but Troquet was great. Loved how they run their by the glass program, which encourages course pairing. The food was great, as well. Based on the responses in this thread the secret is out amongst wine drinkers.

1 Like

Select Oyster Bar. Casual, very good seafood, nice wines. In the Back Bay
As the recommendations are for solo dining, Menton does not fit.