Recommending a wine

I’d like to randomly recommend a Californian red blend I purchased the other day. It is an unusual blend of Sangiovese and Teroldego. I was impressed by its rich color, depth of flavor and Rutherford like dust. It is aggressively unfiltered and there was plenty of sediment in the last glassful. If that’s not your thing ignore this.

2021 Desperada Columba

Tasting notes
Elena crying in an olive grove, pluot lounge chairs on a nude beach, crushed sex berries, Did I miss my exit?, “yee haw” - Bobby Fox

WTF did I just read?

You have to read it right.

Elena crying in an olive grove.

Pluot lounge chairs on a nude beach.

Crushed sex berries, did I miss my exit?

These are complex and nuanced tasting notes presented in Darmok fashion!!!

1 Like

I love Desparada, an enjoyable line!

Thanks for posting about them.

At home, our term for wine contentment is ‘Anton and Katy at Desparada.’

2 Likes

Interesting winery. Quite a portfolio of interesting looking wines - most reds with abv > 15% (some 16%). Tasting notes on the web site are all as crazy as this one. Established by a young woman who is a high-school dropout and was arrested trying to board a flight and “forgetting” she had a Beretta in her purse (from her own bio on the web site). I’m trying to imagine who her target customers are…

Sophisticated spring break bros and broettes perhaps?

Zinfandel - his berries black, his wines red

This could beat haiku reviews!

1 Like

I’ve been several times.

hey make tasting a pleasant event and the wines are typically in albright and easily approached style, so I guess ‘newbie friendly.’

I’ve never tried one that hit my palate as ‘hot,’ even with those ABVs.

The whites are refreshing.

We think of them as friendly near-term drinkers.

Similar style to Herman Story. (Likely for obvious reasons.)

When I don’t need anything brooding or taciturn, this wine is fun to drink.

Their attitude is like Stereophonic, whose existence I also appreciate.

If someone pulled a bottle of Desperada at dinner, I’d say OK! and just relax and taste with the food.