Recommendations Please for Petite Syrah

Brian, I’m late to this but what I can offer, I own Switchback Ridge, Mending Wall and Carlisle (the latter both made from Palisades Vineyard). I have a hard time with the alcohols on these wines now but when I want to share PS with friends or during a meal, these are the 3 wines that are in my cellar. I enjoy all three.

Any thoughts on Relic ? Was given 1 as a gift.

Vincent Arroyo and if your lucky you’ll get to try one of the Dunn Petites I have in the cellar from the early/mid 90’s which are the real unicorns in this category. Poured one at a SB party and it was one of if not the WOTD among very strong competition with probably 100 bottles of you name it and it was there

I’ll second others. Carlisle Palisades gets my vote and is the only one I’m still buying every year. Jaffurs Thompson vineyard is also incredibly good. Turley Haynes can be stunning but not cheap and for me not nearly the qpr of the Carlisle and Jaffurs. Peace.

We need to get a dinner on the books- Albert check out Sbicca or somewhere else to get outside and pop some corks. I’ll text you this week.

I second the Sirius. The best I’ve had. Also York Creek from Ridge if they still make it.

I have always found that Petite Sirah is a monolithic wine young and doesn’t provide me much enjoyment. I can be convinced of their greatness though, if they are 15+ years on. That’s a very personal opinion though and I understand that.

Great idea! As an option I have plenty of room and seating out back to host a well spaced reasonable size group. Doing a birthday dinner here Friday for around. Thats max as a bunch are couples which allows a few extra but 6 to 8 guys no problem and everyone would have plenty of space. Replaced the old grill with a Weber Genesis so plenty of capacity to sear animal flesh as well.

Text me the details Dave!

Already mentioned but I’d also say Tercero, Switchback Ridge, Mending Wall (huge/gigantic wine) and Jaffurs.

Yes, Ridge makes York Creek PS. They were getting pushed out because the York Creek winery was needing the fruit (or something like that), then that winery shut down and Ridge is getting the fruit again. Haven’t had the current/recent releases.

The monolithic quality you you reference is from a dumb straight-forward approach, essentially making it like a Cab, then easiest wine in the world to make. There has been a lot of playing around by winemakers, and old threads with people who taste them broadly in years past. The young Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs Pets I’ve had have been lighter and ready to drink on release. But, I haven’t had a young York Creek in a long time. Odonata makes a soft, savory, ready version. What’s most attractive to me, which is what is done with the trio from Theopolis Vyd., is a significant whole cluster percentage. Haven’t tasted most of the recs in this thread.

Retro has a 12 bottle vertical of the Howell Mountain PS on their website. Three bottles each of the 2010 through 2013. All are excellent. Yes, they would benefit from more cellar time but I’ve been drinking my 2010s and 2011s and they are fantastic now with an hour or two of air. As well, they just released the 2014, also available on their site. All are super affordable and excellent QPR.

Bonus: Mike and Kara Dunn are a pleasure to talk to. When you place your order, Kara will get in touch to coordinate shipping. Mike is doing IG live streams every Monday at noon west coast time on the Dunn IG feed. Worth watching.

I just opened a 2016 Ridge Litton Estate PS… liked it very much. good option with good price point.’

Andrew- thank you, I am on it tomorrow

1 Like

Robert Biale - either the Palisades Vnyd or Royal Punishers

Yes!!!