Recommendations Please for Petite Syrah

Delectus also had a good PS from fritz maytag’s York creek.
Few other producers used this site too, cellartracker would be your friend.

If your looking for a monster that petite can be made in the same style of their cab then switchback ridge. I used to love them but they are too much Of everything at this point for me. Robert Foley used to make this style as well.

Outpost Also makes one (not as huge as I remember) and Turley would be the classic.

Keplinger Sumo

Most of my favorites have been mentioned. “Hayne” is Turley’s classic Petite, but “Library,” “Pesenti,” “Dragon,” “Rattlesnake” and “Estate” are also great.

You can’t go wrong with Palisades Petites from Carlisle, Once & Future and Mending Wall.

+1 Switchback Ridge

Incredibly good too. Especially the old vine.

Try Aaron from Paso. Great PS and PS blends.

All great suggestions. While we don’t drink a lot of PS I will pile on:
Jaffurs as stated good young and great with some age.
Halcon
Tercero-the 2010 was excellent.

Thanks again everyone. I didn’t realize TRB made a PS at Mending Wall, so will for sure check that out. Turley and Once and Future seem interesting with the quick research I did on them. Also Outpost as I have enjoyed their True HM bottling in the past.

Any love for Trueheart?

Plenty of love for Trueheart here–an amazing value. However, I don’t think they make it any more. The last vintage I am aware of is 2013 and it was released by Muscardini Cellars. Do you have any info Markus?

I think year in and year out Turley makes the best Petite Syrah. They are all bursting with flavor and great acidity to balance things out and tannin’s that aren’t too obtrusive. And they come from all over little nooks of Napa County and Paso Robles. They can be pricey, but are a welcome treat to branch out from Napa Cabernet. Plus they can age about as long as we’ll be alive.

Switchback, Once & Future, Quixote, Ridge and Stags Leap Winery are all fantastic as well. [cheers.gif]

Unfortunately, no. But do have a couple sitting in the cellar.

We don’t drink a lot of petite, but I can attest that Tercero does make a very good one. Over the years, we’ve had several bottles of Field Stone Staten Family Reserve PS, which is/was made in Alexander Valley from pre-prohibition vines. Some of those have been my very favorites, but I probably haven’t had a vintage since 2013 or so, and they’ve changed ownership in recent years, so I don’t know what their story is these days.

I would look for PS that gets no new oak. The tannins are so big that it wont show its true characteristics unless it is in neutral oak.

Love hearing that! Have a handful from 1985 that I scooped up at auction for cheap as it’s my sisters birthyear. looking forward to popping one with her as soon as we’re able to again.

Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Assuming they’re sound, I think you’ve got a good shot of them showing well. We picked up a few from different vintages (1978/84/91/97) direct from the winery and opened them back in 2011, and all were at least decent. Vintage, more than age, seemed to play a factor in how they showed…the 1978 was surprisingly youthful at age 33.

RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO RETRO

Retro is on my list to reach out to and see if they have some library releases that they are willing to part with.