Recommendations for wine from 1997

Where are you located? UK?

Philip Togni 1997 is superb.

Maybe the 187ml might come in under budget?

If you’re in the UK, then scour all the German/Austrian/Swiss/Dutch stores, to see whether you can find something made in 1997 by Franz Hirtzberger or F.X. Pichler.

[Often times the German stores actually have better inventory of Austrian wines than do the Austrian stores.]

At that price point, it won’t be a Singerriedel nor an Unendlich, but you might find a really nice Hochrain or Loibnerberg.

And who knows, you might get super lucky and score an Honivogl or an “M”.

Here in the USA, on free Wine-Searcher, I noticed a 1997 Muller-Catoir Mussbacher Eselshaut Rieslaner Auslese, by Hans-Gunther Schwarz, which, with any luck, should be a very very fine wine.

Somebody in Burlingame, CA, actually has the 1997 Ca’ Togni sweet wine, for $53.88, in 375ml, and it has very good reviews at CT [although some people seem to be confusing it with the dry Cabernet Sauvignon]:

Love that wine! 1997 being our anniversary, I’ve had it a few times, including with the greatest 1997 wine I’ve ever had…the Vogue Les Amoureuses! But I’m afraid well north of $120.
C78CDA70-98A0-4FB9-A0BC-586615AE19B7.jpeg

1997 Spottswood, 1997 Montelena are very good and in your price range.

Oh, yes.

1997 was also good for Loire cab franc, but only the top bottles are likely to be in good shape, and may be hard to source. Prices, other than Rougeard, won’t be an issue, though. But I’ve had great bottles of the 1997 Druet Grant Mont and Vaumoreau within the last year.

Chinon/Bourgeuil/Saumur-Champigny:

Baudry - anything
Breton - anything
Filliatreau VV

Chianti region:

Rampolla Sammarco (I doubt you will find the old CCR as it’s a unicorn of sorts but you might find this in your price range as I’ve seen it offered over the years)

N Rhone

Price might be a barrier now but you could look. Producers like Gallet or Burgaud might still be in range

I know you said no sweet wines but Jay is right. 1997 Huet Clos du Bourg and Le Mont Premier Trie Moelleux are absolutely the best bet I can think of to come up with 1997 magic in the price range and are still offered quite often. There are also a large number of other sweet wines from the Loire that are killer.

If you are willing to go dry Riesling, you may be able to find 1997 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile. And there are many good dry Rieslings from Austria made in 1997 still kicking.

I had a '97 Phelps Insignia a couple of weeks ago that was excellent, even if not yet mature (give it a nice decant). I’ve also had a '97 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel a couple of years ago that was really great.

Lots of amazing German Pradikat Rieslings but I gather that these (like the Loire wines with RS) are not what he is looking for.

How was the Jura in 1997?

Pahlmeyer Merlot
Mondavi Reserve
Beringer Private Reserve
Conterno Fantino Sori Ginestra
Clarendon Hills
Leonetti
Chapoutier Sizeranne

I would certainly go for a Loire red if you like neither sweet wines nor Port. We discussed Couly Dutheil Clos de L’Echo Crescendo in another thread but the normal Clos de L’Echo is also very good, as is I imagine Clos de L’Olive. Any of these would be less than your budget limit. Wines by Baudry, Joguet or Breton would be just as good but probably more expensive.

It´s true that 1997 was a legendary vintage in Austria - however the wines have completely disappeared from the market … and are only available in auctions (or private cellars). Even wine-makers are trying to re-buy their own 1997-bottles from private owners or restaurants at high prices because they have nothing in their cellars anymore to re-taste …
If top-bottles are showing up in GB or anywhere at reasonable prices that´s definitely a rec …
at least from my (cool) cellar the top-wines are still drinking fine …

+1 on 1997 Trimbach Cuvee Frederick Emile line up.

The Clos Sainte Hune is terrific and still very fresh, but will be out of your desired price range.

Some Tuscan sangiovese may still be available, but I sense that their best drinking window is fast closing.

Significant premox risk with 1997 Trimbach.

Poujeaux 1997.

Yup.
But with limited vintage choices, taking a chance on bottles that if good are truly great drinkers may be one of the options.

pepsi

Poujeaux is very good, but I haven’t had it for 12+ years.
I again recommend Pavie-Macquin, shouldn’t be too expensive.