Recommendations for a California Syrah tasting?

I second the above. Holus Bolus and Melville are my go to Syrahs. Each cuvee they produce respectively has a distinct terroir driven character.

This may surprise folks but try Sandler. Ed makes a very nice syrah. Not expensive and he may have some older ones laying around.

[rofl.gif]

In the $25-$50 range, the most interesting ones for me have been:
Ojai
Jaffurs
Piedrasassi
Bedrock

1 Like

I mentioned them above, specifically the Rim Rock Vineyard. But heck, does anyone ever notice when I post? [snort.gif] neener [wow.gif]

Cheers

Welcome to some of our favorite wines. Scott Schultz is one fine winemaker and a heck of a nice guy. Jolie laide wines always have impeccable balance.

Tom

1 Like

Enfield Haynes Vineyard Syrah (Napa) would fit in nicely with your line up.

Cruse Heintz Vineyard Syrah also a good fit.

1 Like

Piedrasassi Rim Rock and Bien Nacido are $50 wines and as others have mentioned, in the sweet spot of what you have described. Absolutely fantastic wines with ABVs right at 13%.

1 Like

Try this…

And this

Perfect timing; I happened to crack open a 2014 Drew Perli Vintage Syrah tonight that would fit your bill perfectly. I typically am not a big fan of most New World Syrah, preferring the Northern Rhone in most cases, but this wine was really really fantastic. Here is my CT review;

This wine is fantastic- and I am no great fan of California Syrah. The occasional bottle can be great, but too many are just are not for me. The only reason I bought this is that it was recommended (and discounted) by my local wine guy, who has steered me to excellent stuff over the years.

To me, in California the Syrah grape gets too easily overblown, over-extracted, and inky to fully enjoy. Sometimes these CA wines are so “hot” that I can’t tell the difference between a Syrah, Cabernet, Zinfandel, or even a Pinot, for that matter. But this wine is not like that at all; it has a California identity with plenty of Northern Rhone flavors. There is a definite New World fruitiness of blueberries/blackberries/mulberries as well as an Old World savory, black olive, smoky character that I love so much. Oak is subtle. This wine is worlds away from Central Coast, or Napa. Incredibly youthful at 7 years old- bright purple and not a hint of bricking. Highly recommended for fans of New and Old World Syrah alike.

Two Sonoma recommendations that share a winemaker:

Belden Barns Syrah ($50) might be up your alley. 100% whole cluster without feeling “chewy”.

A little more expensive than you asked, but 2018 Argot Wines Sonoma Syrah ($60) and “Indigo” Sonoma Mountain Syrah ($85) are great. A little more fruit and barrel, but they’re from a cooler section of Sonoma. Not too boisterous. I adored the Indigo!

1 Like

Noah,

Be careful about categorizing ‘Central Coast’ - way too many AVAs/sub-climates/soil types to put in one basket . . .

The Christopher Tynan Syrahs are always some of my favorites out of Cali.

I’ll second this. The regular Syrah is a real crowd pleaser that my wife and daughter love but the Franc de Pied 2017/2018 are really serious cool climate Syrahs. I haven’t yet tried the Presqu’ile as I need to pick up my order. These are good value at about $35.

Waxwing
Rhys
Sandler
Harrington McEvoy Ranch (Marin County)
Cedarville
La Clarine Farm
Arcadian

1 Like

Lots of mentions of wines way over the OP’s $25-50 price limit.

Don’t forget to include one of Larry’s Tercero Syrahs - Larner Vineyard is my fave!

1 Like

I’d include a Dehlinger Syrah in the tasting, either the Goldridge or the Estate with 5-10 years of age. I know Rhys is above your price range, but if you can stretch a bit either a Skyline or a Horseshoe vineyard would be a fun comparison to the others listed.

There are so loads of good producers to choose from, a small sampling:

Central Coast
Ojai
Qupe Bien Nacido or Sawyer Lindquist (older versions, a 2008 SL was amazing a year ago)

Humboldt County
Briceland Ishi Pishi Ranch (had a 2016 recently that was very good)
Cabot Humboldt Syrah

Mendocino
HalcĂłn Alturas

France/Ringers
Alain Graillot Crozes-Hermitage (my favorite of the 3)
Faury Saint Joseph Vieilles Vignes
Vincent Paris Cornas Granit 30 (the 60 is better, but just above your price range)

1 Like

Both of these labels are in my cellar and are both great. Although, I think Justin’s style is a little more plush and opulent than the OP was inquiring about. Justin is a self described Chardonnay hussy. :slight_smile: