Recommendations for a California Syrah tasting?

Definitely Lagier Meredith which is as close to Hermitage in style as I’ve had from California but it’s better than most of the wine from that depressingly underperforming appellation. I’d also do one from either Cabot or Briceland Ishi Pishi for geographic variety and because they’re excellent wines with great savory character.

1 Like

They are definitely known for their pinots and chards, but their vineyard site in the Sta Rita Hills is a great location for syrah as well - cool climate but not so much that things cannot develop and ripen. Near them is a vineyard called Zotovich - some good syrahs coming out of there. And just down the road is the Turner Vineyard, right next to Clos Pepe - search out producers using these sites . . .

Cheers

1 Like

Ohhhh…I have never had any Cabot wines. Will have to seek this one out - thank you!

Looks like the Lagier Meredith is the biggest no-brainer I’ve missed. Why did I pass on the BD offer gahhhh [head-bang.gif]

Thanks for the Model Farm rec - definitely one that I haven’t yet explored. I have the 2018 Failla Hudson sleeping. Do you think it would be too young to include at this point?

Calling Tom Hill . . .

I suspect it would benefit from a few more years in the cellar with regard to structure, but Ehran’s wines are pretty expressive off the bat. If you did choose to open it, I would decant several hours ahead. Admittedly, I haven’t had the 18, but they often will serve the current release (from a decanter) at tastings in the cave.

1 Like

He might be busy/working/tied-up/not online/driving/shopping/on a call. [snort.gif]

2 Likes

Any recommendations on a specific Ojai, and age?

Larry, thanks for the SBC suggestions! I have the Melville Donna’s that I could throw in but would you recommend any others of theirs in particular?

I have…never had a wine from Las Madres vineyard… [truce.gif] newhere

Where would you recommend I start, given pricing constraints - or are they all in the range?

Indeed!!! short/boring response . . .

Have also enjoyed syrah from Ballard Canyon area of SBC. Perhaps a nice contrast to Santa Maria and Santa Rita Hills.

Ben,

Great question re: Ojai with age. Remember that Adam ‘changed’ his winemaking philosophies about a decade ago and now makes a more ‘restrained’ style of wine that he used to. They tend to offer lots of library wines directly from the winery - reach out to Nick, their tasting room manager, and let him know what you’re after - and let him know I sent you.

As far as Melville goes, I am not that familiar with the difference between the Donna’s block and their ‘estate’ syrahs so I’m not the best to comment about that. And don’t forget about the other suggestions I provided - lots of great syrahs coming out of our area - from cooler climate ones to ‘restrained’ ones coming from slightly warmer areas. For instance, I work with the Larner Vineyard in Ballard Canyon - not as ‘cool’ as Sta Rita Hills but pretty cool - but plenty cool and planted in 100% sand. My 2014, which I’m currently releasing, is 91% syrah and 9% viognier, co-fermented, 100% whole cluster, and aged 34 months in older oak - comes in at 12.9% alcohol. Young for sure.

Cheers

1 Like

Holus Bolus would be at the top of my list:
Presqu’ile Vineyard - Elegant cool climate, lots of pepper.
Franc de Pied: More of a brut but still cool climate

Ojai and Melville are good as well.
Have gone through two cases of Melville Estate since I got a good deal on it.

In SBC, I would recommend Frequency Wine. Zac Wassermsan is the assistant winemaker at Tensley and this is his label. I just received three Syrah’s from them - Watch Hill Vineyard, Zotovich Vineyard, and John Sebastiano Vineyard. The Watch Hill is excellent!! Definitely an up and comer and I believe they were $38 each.

1 Like

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/posting.php?mode=edit&f=8&p=2321141

I would agree that Zac is a talented winemaker making delicious wines. His style does tend to be a bit richer and riper than others in the area in general, but I have not had these three selections.

Cheers

1 Like

I would add Arcadian to the mix if you can find it.

Link takes me to something I can’t see. Double super secret WB forum?

I, too, like the list, and think the Faury is a stoooopid value to mix in.

Call Van from Witching Stick and see if he has any 2012 Valenti Syrah, and see if you can find a Stolpman Hilltops or Originals from 2011 or so. Some of those over the years have been super. I expected to really like the Ojai Bien Nacido, but it was not doing it for me. The last 2012 Qupe Sonnie’s was very nice not too long ago. You already mention Drew, but make sure to get the Valenti. And last one here… if you can source an older Limerick Lane RRV (Collins?) – we had a 2000 a bit over a year ago and it had all of the things. All of them.

Interesting to see how a blind tasting pans out, as I think Halcon Elevacion is absolutely the best bang for the buck out there (probably the best overall).

Looking forward to trying the Knez Syrah with you this summer!

1 Like

Wow I forgot and did not see mentioned here Piedrasassi.
That should be a must in a SBC line up.
Single vineyard bottles are around $50.

1 Like