Recommend a Burgundian Burgundy

Both Michael and Claude make good suggestions as to good, classical producers. However, the best way to gauge your own palate would be to attend as many Burgundy tastings as possible. This would allow you to fine-tune your preferences as to producers and styles. If you’re drinking lots of New World Pinot, you might not enjoy the relatively leaner, earthier aspects of traditional Burgundian winemakers. A good entry point might be someone who makes a riper, more plush style with some oak (Dugat, perhaps?). But wine being subjective, YMMV.

For me, Bachelet and Raphet offer good QPRs (the Raphets I bought for around $20 show excellent typicity and transparency despite being “only” Bourgogne level).

And ignore Nathan. He’s obviously drinking pepsi [wink.gif]

What fucking planet are you on ! You obviously have no clue about Burgundy! I won’t even try to overcome your objections or misconceptions. Just isn’t worth the bandwidth. I bought many AGED burgundy’s that were excellent. Most under $100. Serge is my witness and Serge, I will take your left testicle hostage if you give up our sources on where to buy this suff neener

Dave,
My recommendations would be:
'06 Simon Bize Savigny Vergelesses
or
'06 Chandon de Briailles Pernand Ile des Vergelesses

I believe they are both under $40 and excellent.

You guys don’t know Nathan. He has a whole spectrum of wacky beliefs, each of which he is eager to defend to the death. At least it’s provocative to discussion…
[foilhat.gif]

Bachelet’s entry-level wines (Bourgogne and CdNv) are ones to look out for. If you bump up a little to about $80, Bachelet’s 2002 Gevrey-Chambertin VV is a stunner and very “burgundian”

It’s up to $80??? I bought a case at $50. I thought we were in a recession? [scratch.gif]

There aren’t many places that have it, but Vins Rare is selling it for $79.99. 2002 Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin VV - $79.99: Vins Rare, The finest selection of rare wines." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I would be all over it if I could find some for $50.

I don’t know how available this is in CA, but along the lines of the more “accessible” burgundies is Domaine d’Ardhuy. Not quite as much oak as a C. Dugat, but definitely ripe and fruited. I liked both the 2005 d’Ardhuy’s I tasted alot, and they were 1er Savignys priced at $35-45 retail in NY.

And another vote for the Digioia-Royer basic Bourgogne as a good option in the $15-20 range.

Uh huh.

Now tell me again about all those $50 red Burgundies you’re in such a hurry to purchase…

Sherry Lehmann has the 2005 Chevillon Bourgogne (better than the 2007) for $32 @

Chevillon is a wine that rewards keeping, even at the Bourgogne level.

I haven’t had this specific wine myself but I’ve got a bunch of Chevillon in the cellar…

Hey Claude:

[u]$8540 per bottle[/u] / $50 = 170.8

170.8 / 12 = 14.2333

That’s more than 14 cases of $50 red burgs in exchange for a just single jewel from your cellar.

Wanna make the trade?

[PS: I sincerely hope that your answer would be, “Hell no!!!”]

I actually know of a $150 to $200 red Burg which would be EXACTLY what Dave Tong is looking for.

But I don’t want to tell anyone about it because I like to fantasize about buying it for myself.

Funny, I was going to suggest an 07 of that Briailles, Vin Vino has a bunch at around that price point. I’m not sure it’s a “newbie” Burgundy, since this producer’s style is on the more subtle side, but it ages well - just had an '01 that was singing. I need to go back and buy more…

You know, it also dawned on me that you could opt instead for a Burgundian NON-Burgundy in that price range.

A few which come to mind:

\

1. A Pinot Meunier by Thierry & Marie Puzelat [Clos de Tue Boeuf], about $25

2. A Poulsard [preferably an “M”] by Jacques Puffeney, about $35

3. A Pinot Noir by Vatan, about $50 to $60

Oh, and if I had the money, then I’d buy a single bottle of the 1996 William Deutz Rose before I bought four [or five] bottles of $50 red Burgundy.

And while I’ve never had the Cuvee Elisabeth Salmon [Robert Chadderdon refuses to sell in our market], from everything I’ve heard, I imagine [if I ever had the chance to taste it] that I would feel the same way about that wine, as well.

I fourth (?) the recommendation on Pavelot, especially the La Dominode and Gravains bottlings, both under $50, the latter under $40.

Just drank a 2005 Bruno Clair Marsannay Les Longeroies this weekend, from a very humble section of Burgundy, it’s mid -$30s and was so expressive.

not sure if it’s crossed the $50 mark yet but Drouhin’s village Chambolle is generally a beautiful example of what I think of as “Burgundian Burgundy”.

Nathan,

FTR, Claude has forgotten more about Burgundy than you know…
I suggest you listen to him…

TTT

I think more people should listen to Nathan. he has it right. Stay away from burgs.

Hmm, well, for me, Mugneret-Gibourg VR, Jadot Clos des Ursules, Drouhin’s Gevrey 2005, and Simon Bize’s various Savigny bottlings, to start.

I don’t mean to be total jackass, but that’s a wine which I’ve actually had, and it just doesn’t deliver “The Burgundy Experience”.

In fact, I’ve had a fairly wide range of Jadot, and NONE of what I’ve had from that house has EVER delivered “The Burgundy Experience”.