Recnt TN's: Tercero, Jemrose, Chester's Anvil, Siduri, Peay et al

A bunch of these were Berserkerday wines that came in and others were stuff that had been in my house and I decided it was finally time to drink.

• 2007 Tercero Syrah Thompson Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (3/8/2012)
    This was my first Tercero from my Berserkerday purchase. I do not think i have ever had such a perfumed syrah. The nose was very complex but had so many floral notes to it, which I was not expecting. I literally smelled it and then had to sit back and say woah, it was that strong (in an interesting way). Also I must cmment on the color of it as it was like an ultra dark violet. On the palate there was very nice dark fruit, bramble, a tiny bit of pepper spice and is very full in the mouth. For sure a winner in terms of this purchase. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Chester’s Anvil Chardonnay - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/6/2012)
    Really nice. Buttery without being overly buttery. Smooth and not a big oak bomb. Nice lemongrass, peach and apple notes. (90 pts.)
  • 2005 Domaine Jean-Marc Pillot Bourgogne Blanc Les Grands Champs - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Blanc (2/15/2012)
    Another beautiful wine from JMP. This was very nice. A golden color to it. There was a wonderful whiff of burnt caramel on the nose. That flavor followed on the palate with a nice punch of minerality and a nice splash of acidity. This was the last bottle at the store and for the price I wish I had more. (91 pts.)
  • 2009 Jemrose Viognier Egret Pond - USA, California, Sonoma County, Bennett Valley (2/14/2012)
    My first Jemrose wine. Popped and poured. Almost opaque in the glass. Really crisp light wine. Grapefruit, mica, stone fruit were the predominant features of this wine. I was really into this as I refilled twice. It was warm here yesterday but this wine will really shine in the spring/summer here in Dallas. Perfect afternoon outside wine. (92 pts.)
  • 2006 Peay Vineyards Pinot Noir Scallop Shelf - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (2/14/2012)
    Opened and aired in the bottle about 30 minutes. Medium colored with a nose of strawberries and tea leaves. Those aromas followed on the palate and were joined by a little sour cherry and slight chalk flavor. Unlike most of the recent pinots I have had there was no earthiness to it. It paired very well with dinner. (90 pts.)
  • 2009 Mollydooker Verdelho The Violinist - Australia, South Australia, Fleurieu, McLaren Vale (2/14/2012)
    I opened this on a night with about 4 other whites and it just was so totally different than everything else we were drinking i initially hated it. Then i left it in the fridge overnight and tried it the next day. I liked it much more this day. It had a big punch of petrol on the nose and palate and had some nice crispness to it. Overall this aint my cup of tea, but for $6 that I paid it was pretty good value. (86 pts.)
  • 2009 Siduri Pinot Noir Chehalem Mountains - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (2/13/2012)
    Drank this vover two nights. Tart red fruit and some nice earthiness. Minerality was present as well. Pretty dang good for the dough. (89 pts.)
  • 2009 Château Martinat - France, Bordeaux, Côtes de Bourg (2/13/2012)
    This started off not very good, but got noticeably better toward the end of its air time which was a bout an hour. This was really dry but had some nice red fruit and was fairly full in the mouth (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Alston,

Glad you liked the 07 Thompson Syrah. Don’t know if you kept any aside for Day 2, but I’d be curious as to your thoughts . . . to me, the wine continues to open up for quite some time. As far as the floral notes, I did not co-ferment this with any viognier, but I did ferment it with 25% whole clusters. No new oak on this puppy (or any of my reds), and as far as the color goes, cooler site = more acid = lower pH = usually darker deeper color. I hope the other wines in the Berserker Day package exceed your expectations (-:

Cheers!