Recipe for super colossal shrimp

Just bought some 5-6 to a pound shrimp. I took the first pound and baked it with garlic parsley and olive oil for 10 minutes at 400 degrees from a recipe I found, but then needed an extra three minutes when I cut into one, and found it not quite cooked. It was fine, but not as great as I would have hoped.

Any suggestions?

With big shrimp, I like Manales/Mr. B’s BBQ shrimp with French bread to sop up the sauce.

1 Like

Butterfly and grill on skewers, baste with garlic butter and finish with lemon, sort of like spiny lobster.

2 Likes

Baked stuffed shrimp. Leave the shell on and split to the shell, remove the vein. Then use a a bread crumb, minced clam, crab, garlic and butter combination for the stuffing

Buy an APO, use the sous vide function

dry brine in baking soda and salt for 30 minutes, then saute in a low / medium pan with vadouvan, garlic, and good butter. finish with a squeeze of lemon to emulsify. let the shrimp rest for a minute on a wire rack. continue to emulsify the pan juices with more butter and lemon, reduce a bit, strain and drape over the shrimp with minched chives. the brine will make them super snappy and the low saute, turn, turn, turn will create a perfect internal texture.

That sounds like the way to go for me. Baking soda is underused in most kitchens.

Pictures?

What does the baking soda do? The method sounds great. I might add a touch of tarragon or fennel seed or splash of Pernod but I’m on an anise 12 step program. Whisky is good with prawns too.

Also another trick might be to make a prawn butter with the shells and use to finish. (I freeze discarded shells to have extras on hand for that sort of thing. )

i now do this 100% of the time for any shrimp dishes. stark improvement. also sugar and salt dry brine for salmon and other fin fishes.

Thanks for the article looks interesting, I’ll read it tonight.

I do the same thing. I also have started adding it to ground beef when making chili (not my own idea…from a kid’s cookbook, of all things, from America’s Test Kitchen). It really improves the texture.