Recent 2016 Produttori experience (base, Ovello)

So I LOVED the '16 base Produttori on release. Great purity of fruit, lush, with perfect acid. So of course I bought more than a case, stopped drinking them because they would be “better” later

Fast forward to now. I know these are in an inbetween phase.

Recent base bottling was fine, but a bit sappy and round, without the zip I’d expect from a top tier barbaresco. But definaitely felt a bit heavy.

Ovello this past weekend was disappointing. Dark and roasted fruit, feeling quite tired. MASSIVE tannic structure, really needed a few hours air but just didn’t love the fruit flavor profile. I didn’t notice the 15%! alcohol on release but now I do.

Anyone else try these recently? '16 is suppsoed to be amazing but I have concerns for the mixed case of Riserva’s I have resting.

2 Likes

I saw your CT note the other day and in general have noticed similar notes across each cru recently. I’ve really been wanting to try a few but will hold off for now

15% always a concern, with the concern sometimes justified.

Sensible to have put the brakes on opening them. Maybe try another in 2-3 years time, and see where it’s heading.

‘16 Don Fiorino is drinking very well.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any of the '16s recently, but have had a number of vintages of the different Produttori wines over the years. Generally, with high quality Barolo/Barbaresco 10 years from vintage is really not a good indicator. Many of the wines are clamped down and showing their structure at that point. These wines are usually best at 20 years and older, so I wouldn’t panic on your remaining bottles…just be patient.

6 Likes

375ml of Burlotto’s base barolo are just now starting to open, and some have still been closed.

I had the base in January of this year, and was frankly disappointed in its showing.

Yes I had one about 6 weeks ago that was lovely.

2 Likes

That’s good to hear. Do you recall if it was 15% alcohol like the other riserva’s?

Yes, exactly what prompted me to check a Riserva much earlier than usual

Agree— but I have some experience with the Produttori Riserva’s. Just a handful older than 25yrs, but I’m working on my ‘08/‘09/‘11’s now. The ‘08’s and ‘09s are very youthful. ‘11 more advanced than I would expect but still good.
This ‘16 seemed over ripe and lacked freshness. It’s the lack of freshness I found concerning along with a roasted quality. It’s not a quality ive noticed before in Produttori hence the question of others experience. Structure doesn’t other me, I didn’t get the feeling this was closed.
Could be a bad bottle but advanced fruit, 15% alcohol, and a base barbaresco that also lacked vigor—the 16’s may just not be for me.

1 Like

So, going back through my notes I’m embarrassed to admit that I had forgotten that I had tried 2 other ‘16 Riserva’s

I had Montestefano in 2022 - found it highly structured but enjoyable with a bright future. Lots of complexity here.

Pora in 2025 - also youthful, but pure red fruits and nice depth

No off or advanced flavors in either of these. So maybe don’t love Ovello in ‘16 or just an off bottle. Maybe need to open another one….

I just checked other bottles in the cellar, and they are labeled as 14.5%. (Same as the 2008 50th Anniversary Reserve FWIW.)