Realm Mailing...?

I just got an email that says I am not on the list of this coming Absurd release. I don’t know if the Realm team just wants to be nice, but it’s really upsetting to see an email like this. I’d rather not have this email.
I was waiting for this release and hoped I could get 1 bottle or on the wish request list. It’s like I am dressing up for the party, then someone comes and knocks my door, and tell me “hey dude, we don’t have a seat for you”, LOL pileon

To each their own, but I appreciated the heads up that I wouldn’t be getting any of The Absurd.

I received the email this morning as well and appreciate it and was expected. After passing on the one bottle of the 15 and 16 I was allocated. Hoping for my first allocations of The Falstaff and Dr. Crane in the future before I can justify this purchase. With that said I am looking forward offer in the fall.

Even though I won’t be offered any as I have not bought, my email had a link “Yes, I’m Interested” in a future release, which I did. I am happy with my Crane, To Kalon and Tempest and have bought the Absurd in the past. I bought the first release 2005 way back when at $450 for a 3 pack. I drank my last bottle of that about 4-5 years ago and it was great. That large dose of Cab Franc for that vintage took some time to come around!

What is the release price of The Absurd?

The 2016 was $475. Imagine the 2018 will be around $500.

Interesting as my email did not have that link…

Just got the e-mail. $575. $100 more than 2016. Yikes.

Received the email. While I don’t disagree it’s a very special wine and worth the tariff, I’m officially priced out of the Absurd. Luckily, I still have a few in the stable. Looking forward to the 2019 releases. Cheers and Happy 4th! [cheers.gif]

That is yikes… I can get Abreu for 525…

Complimentary shipping, but only offered on August 9th or 16th, i.e. what is typically the hottest time of the year.

“UPS Summer Solutions is complimentary for Summer Release orders delivered within the US. This seasonal service features overnight delivery and refrigerated trucking to local service hubs. Orders will be shipped within insulated packaging along with ice gel packs.”

Hey Sir hope all is well!

Assuming nothing goes wrong with the last leg - the overnight AM delivery from the regional hub - summer solutions shipping (or FedEx cold chain) has worked really well for me in the past here in FL. It would have to be REALLY hot to melt the gel pack down and heat the bottle up above room temp before Noon.

If there’s an issue and it ends up somewhere like FL, TX, AZ etc for 36 hours before delivery … all bets are off.

Good morning everyone and happy 4th of July! All good feedback and fair points on pricing. We continue to explore various avenues and methods for shipping. The reality these days is it’s always hot somewhere. So we created custom temperature-controlled packaging. We thoroughly tested the packaging by exposing it to 100+ degree heat for 72 hours. We wouldn’t be shipping wine in August if we were not absolutely confident the bottles will arrive safe and sound. As much as I wish we could control every variable, we are still reliant on UPS which has guaranteed overnight delivery. I’m certain we won’t be perfect with this round of shipping, but I’m also certain we will be damn close and we will rectify any issues that arise. The Absurd represents one end of our portfolio. Tempest and Bard represent the other…with many wines in between. The essence of Realm isn’t one wine…but rather a collection of wines that together represent the diversity and greatness of Napa Valley. Thanks for your continued support!

5 Likes

Scott are you able to tell us what the production #’s of the 2018 Absurd is?

1 Like

For some perspective, I received my order of the La Fe Rose’ at 10:30 on Tuesday morning May 11 via the UPS Summer Solutions shipping method. The high on Monday was 94 (it was a cool May day for Phoenix!) with an overnight low Tuesday morning around 70. The ice packs were still half frozen and the wine felt like it was at cellar temp. It is the first time I have ever had wine shipped with ice packs where they arrive cold, let alone still frozen. I believe it would work even in the middle of our Phoenix summer (110 highs with 90 lows), though doing that with a wine like the Absurd would give me pause.
I’m fortunate to live so close to California so shipping isn’t as worrisome of an issue (from November to April that is) as I can see it would be if you’re on the East Coast or in the middle of the Country. In any event, if my experience with the La Fe (my first with this shipping method) is representative of the whole, you should feel a bit more confident with the UPS Summer Solutions during periods of high temps.
Finally, I know that storing wine for future shipment can be expensive for a winery, but it helps to wait until November when shipping to Phoenix as, usually, by then we’ve come off our hotter that h-e-double-hockey-sticks temps!
In the future, I wonder if it would be possible for Realm to include the Absurd (for which I was not eligible this year) in Fall shipments to those who also purchase from the September offering.

Albert, production was a little higher in 2018 and 2019 across the entire Realm portfolio and The Absurd is part of that. 2018 The Absurd is around 4,000 bottles which is higher than the 1,200 bottles or so we made in 2017.

Ozzie, we are naturally pushing this new shipping method because we’ve invested a lot in it and we believe we need a year-round shipping solution. That being written, if a member insists on holding their shipment until fall, we will certainly accommodate. We cannot combine orders or shipments with the Fall Release for a variety of reasons, but we can hold the shipment until fall.

2 Likes

Thanks Scott. I get that combining orders can be a logistical challenge. Appreciate the ability to hold until Fall for shipping.
The new shipping method is the best, most affordable, option I’ve seen yet for shipping to Phoenix when temps are high.

Just received my bottles of Absurd this morning - shipping worked perfectly and bottles were actually on the colder side of cool to the touch. Well done!

Same here in CT this morning. Perfect except fir a little condensation on the “inner” box. Still thinking I should have requested a couple of more though.