Random Question- Sensodyne toothpaste and taste

I have developed a minor cold temp sensitivity in one of my molars- Dentist recommended sensodyne.

Anyone use? Any notice of any differences in taste perception?

Sensodyne never worked for me.

Close-Up, on the other hand, is indispensable.

In the really bad scenarios, you’ll have to go cold-turkey on the acids for a while* - no cola/soda drinks, no coffee/tea, no orange juice, no lemonade, no fruit, no ketchup/mustard, etc etc etc, and, sadly, no wine.

Anyway, Cold-Turkey + Close-Up works for me.

*Note that “a while” might be a year, or more, or maybe even the rest of your life.

Use it. And like it. Taste is different but u get used to it in a week.

I use it. No issues with taste perception.

Get a root canal. Problem solved and use whatever toothpaste you want. Been using for years and I don’t think it does anything to my taste perception which is fair at best anyway.

Toothpaste itself has a strange taste, but does help sensitivity issues. Doesn’t have any effect on wine tasting. Besides, do you brush your teeth right before you’re about to dive into that bottle of Margaux?!

+1. I’ve used it for 10 years. Our whole family uses it now for convenience.

They have plenty of different flavors and I can’t distinguish from crest/colgate.

I’ve been using it for a while because the regular types seem very harsh.

No effect on taste, at least after you’ve rinsed properly (i.e., same as regular toothpaste).

Toothpaste itself has a strange taste, but does help sensitivity issues. Doesn’t have any effect on wine tasting. Besides, do you brush your teeth right before you’re about to dive into that bottle of Margaux?!

This. If you taste within an hour of brushing, you’re going to get some nice mint flavors in your wine! But afterwards, there’s nothing much happening.

Sensodyne doesn’t linger and numb anything if that’s the question. It’s not like you got a shot of novocaine and it takes hours to wear off.

If you don’t like it, Colgate makes a toothpaste for sensitive teeth. I use that. Of course, I generally brush my teeth after a wine tasting, not before.

I’ve been using it for years, and no problems with taste.

I think it has milder flavors than standard toothpaste.

Wait a few minutes after brushing in the morning before you hit the wine. [cheers.gif]

I have used it before and no noted different impact than any other product.

I’ve read that an ingredient in many toothpastes, sodium lauryl sulfate, causes changes in taste perception. Sensodyne doesn’t contain this chemical.

Yep.

You can look for “SDS free” toothpaste. I know Walgreens has some - it’s an entire category.

SDS is usually in detergents and soaps. For some reason it blocks receptors on the tongue that sense sweetness and it supercharges the ones that sense bitterness. But again, it doesn’t linger. And some toothpaste is a pretty good metal cleaner too. I don’t know if it works better for that purpose with or w/out SDS.