Quick notes (Kistler, Dominus, Lafon, Turley)

Shared some bottles yesterday with Mark Rushton and thought I’d share my thoughts. No formal notes were taken at the time.

1997 Kistler Durell Chardonnay
1996 Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre

The Kistler was on the ‘up’ side of mature but drinking real well. Brioche and pear and honey. Full, rich creamy mid-palate, sweet long finish.
The Lafon was on the ‘down’ side of mature. Hazelnuts, stone pit fruits, slight sherried note. The palate had tons of acidity which kept interest and a mineral quality. Medium length. This improved with air though drink up I think.

1989 Dominus
2007 Turley Pesenti Zinfandel

The Dominus was surprisingly dark, loaded with blueberry and cigar box to start, then more bell pepper and cassis, really complex nose. Lush palate, slight amount of tannins, light-medium body, long finish. Not as dense as I would have thought based on the nose but textbook Paulliac profile.
The Turley was like a barrel sample, grapey, warm nose of plums and spice with red fruits on the palate, medium body, tannins if there any completed overwhelmed by fruit, warm, medium length finish. Mark was saying these are very different with age. I liked it though I couldn’t see myself drinking this very often.

Interesting comment on the Dominus - ‘classic Paulliac profile’ - that’s quite true, and I never thought of their wines in such a way