Question on chilling Jeroboam

Got a Jeroboam of Billecart-Salmon I’m planning on opening for my GFs birthday get together. As far as getting the temp correct/reasonable to pour, any hacks you guys have on thoroughly cooling a Jeroboam off? My plan was to maybe ice water spin it at the party but it dawned on me I have no clue how long I would have to do it for. I’ll be driving it ~45 mins to the party and would be opening it as guests arrive. Thanks ahead of time.

Put it in your fridge overnight, then put it in a cooler with blue ice for the trip. Probably best to cover the blue ice with some towels just to be absolutely certain the bottle doesn;'t break.

2 Likes

If you have a second “utility” frig I would clear out the bottom half and chill overnight. You definitely want to have 3-4 decanters ready to pour into once opened. Trying to pour a jero of bubbles into individual glasses is nearly impossible.

1 Like

*jeroboam

2 Likes
    • Jerobaum. In this case, the wine bottle is not named for the Biblical king of Israel. Instead the bottle is shaped like the king of the NFL thread, @David_Baum.
3 Likes

Haha thank you for not make me feeling like a complete jack@ss you all. :man_facepalming: Corrections made. And I appreciate the feedback, I’ll be sticking with the hacks up top, and thanks for the heads up on actually pouring it out into several decanters first.

Ice bucket is an option if you don’t have the fridge space. Any bucket will do, with lots of ice and cold water, plus IIRC salt as a boost to the chilling (not that I ever needed to do that myself).

1 Like

Ian I more than likely will have to do the ice bucket just because as of now I don’t have the space. I will try to make some, if I can get it in the fridge the night before and she’s not planning on coming to my place. I’ll probably have to do the dry ice for transport but have a bucket ready if for some odd reason it’s not feeling properly chilled. Seems like a couple different plans are in order in case one falls out.

2 Likes

You can put it in a water bath and adjust that water bath to the temp you want the wine at and it won’t take very long at all for the wine temp to equalize with the water temp. Or close enough in any case.

2 Likes

I had some double mags of Billecart at a party several years ago. Chilled in a fridge and then used a cooler with some ice. Really only the bottom third. Of the bottle was submerged.

3 Likes

that’s a jeroboam in Champagne and Burgundy, 5 liters in Bordeaux.

1 Like

I once chilled a large format bottle of champagne with a lot of bags of frozen peas and two large towels. If no space in the fridge, that might always be a good solution for the journey.