QPR - throwdown

Certainly Isole e Olena CCR is a very deserving mention.

1 Like

Assyrtiko from Santorini. The greatest white wine value in the world, along with German Riesling (previously mentioned).

For reds, hard to beat cru Beaujolais.

Second the mention of value Champagne. So many great values to choose from at (nearly) all price points.

You were doing so well, Mark, until you mentioned Beaujolais. champagne.gif

1 Like

Ok, Mark, what is your red wine qpr region?

From a non-Mark perspective, I don’t disagree with Beaujolais, but I’d add Alto Piemonte for red QPR.

1 Like

Thanks, Sarah, for mentioning Alto Piemonte. My consumption of qpr red wine has shifted over the past 5 years from Beaujolais to Alto Piemonte and Langhe rosso.

1 Like

You need to read better. I had Vajra Albe on my list.

Stop kvetching about what others are doing and grow up. If you want Italian wines on the list, add specific recommendations. What a child.

2 Likes

Domaine Guion should be on that list, and I thought about it, but decided to just list stuff that I really do buy in almost every vintage. Just ordered some 2018 Guion, however!

1 Like

A lot of names have already been mentioned here. So i won’t repeat those.

Some of my favorites are:

Domaine des Marnes Blanches (Jura). Either Aux Bois (Ouillé Savagnin) or En Quatre Vis (Chardonnay). They cost 25/30€ in Europe. Good wines at release… VERY good wines after 2-5 years sleep.

Wasenhaus or Carsten Saalwächter’s base Pinot Noirs/Spätburgunders. Around 20-25€.

Just had my first Hermann Ludes (“Monster” Kabinett 2020). Amazing wine around 17-20€.

Envinate’s wines are still fairly cheap in Europe. Both reds and whites are very interesting.

I also very much like the Cabernet Franc wines from La Porte Saint Jean. Had both the base 2015 and 2016 lately. Blown my mind. Paid 21€. Think it is around 25-27 now.

Franck Balthazar’s Crozes-Hermitage can be very good with a little patience. Costs around 18€?

Francois Dumas Saint-Joseph if you can find it. ALL CAPS AMAZING Syrah…

2 Likes

OK dad. See post 40.
Just don’t get me started on White Zin.

For $12 2019 Landi Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico defines QPR. I did get a special on this so usually not this inexpensive.

For Napa Cabs, Myriad is great QPR across the board. Caterwaul Napa Valley and Rivers-Marie Napa Valley are also excellent values.
Bevan Ontogeny is excellent in almost all vintages.
None of these are sub-$50 wines, but see post #2

In order to accurately calculate the ratio of Quality to Price, it is necessary to determine the numerator (Quality). I’m assuming that a wine’s “score” somehow relates to its “Quality” (as perceived by the person giving the score). But is the wine’s score itself the best numeric quantification of quality? If you use the score as a stand-in for quality, it’s hard to imagine any QPR better than a 75 point wine for $3 (Q/P = 25). Even a 100 point wine for $20 offers a lower QPR of only 5!!

However, for several reasons, it is not clear whether a score can be used as a stand-in for quality, as different people use different scales for scoring.

For example, most people place 95% of their wines firmly between 90 and 100 points, with the other 5% scattered between 70 and 90, while others (such as Suckling) score every wine between 96 and 100 points. Still others may use a scale of 1-5…or an A+, A-, A, B+, B, B- scale, or may use the “5-bags-of-popcorn and two sodas” scale more often associated with the ratings used by film buffs in evaluating Cinema.

But even for those using the 100 point scale, it appears that each point on the scale may not carry with it an identical amount of “quality”, and some points are more valuable than others. For many people, the single point at which a wine goes from 89 to 90 carries with it more “quality” than the point between 88 and 89, or between 90 and 91. That one point single-handedly raises a wine’s quality from “very good” to “outstanding”, yet both an 87 and an 89 point wine are both “very good”.

Once agree upon how much “quality” each point on the 1=100 scale carries (or we agree to stipulate that each point carries with it an identical amount of “quality”), only THEN can we begin to have an earnest discussion of relative QPRs.

2 Likes

Not necessarily disputing your overall point, but I found some Prum Kabinetts for $30 not long ago, both WS + GH.

Albeit from a small shop that is not on Winesearcher, and in a small state.

One day a man will break the 100 pt boundary.

1 Like

Great find. As I said, I love Prum wines and have more wines from Prum than any other producer. But, prices have seemed on the rise in recent vintages.

If we consider population of available wines to move inversely to score exponentially, then perhaps QPR would be calculated on a logarithmic scale. for instance, I’d say a 100pt wine for $100 (qpr of 1 in a linear ratio) would best a 90pt wine for $10 (qpr of 9) due to the rarity of 100pt wines. So, if we want to get mathematical, maybe QPR=((Q/P)+1)^f, where f=rareness factor.

These are great ones. I have yet to go wrong with any of your recommendations. Although I have my own preferences within them of course. I think the higher end bottlings of Thivin and Roilette are actually better QPR than the lower ones. Lanessan is awesome 2014 and older like you said.

For Champagne, my favorite QPR is the Hebrart BDB at 35-37 bucks. I also like the JL vergnon conversation. For slightly higher cost vintage, I love Diebolt Vallois and Gaston Chiquet.

2 Likes

Calabretta Nerello Mascalese Vigne Vecchie
Salvatore Molettieri Irpinia Vigna Cinque Querce
Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco
G.D. Vajra Barolo Albe
Altos Las Hormigas Gualtallary
Quinta do Vallado Field Blend
Quinta do Vallado Touriga Nacional

Everything from Raul Perez
Mencia
wines from Maremma
Most tempranillo under $30

I had a bottle of '18 Birichino Besson Old Vines Grenache last week that cost $25, and was pretty great

1 Like