Thivin Cote de Brouilly
Dom. Cheysson Chiroubles
Chandon de Briailles Ille de Vergelesses
Vincent
Grochau Cellars
Patricia Green Cellars

Many, many Portuguese wines as well.

3 Likes

Raúl Pérez Atalier albariño, sadly apparently in its recently released last vintage

Vajra, all of them but especially the Clare JC Nebbiolo and the Barolo Albe

Max Ferd Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr or Elisenberg rieslings

Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese feinherb Ur Alte Reben MCM

Bedrock Ode to Lulu (just as with the Vajra Clare, they should just pipe this to homes like water).

Henri Champliau Crémant de Bourgogne Rosé (this was a surprise to me)

Pere Mata Cava L’Origen (I’ve only had the Brut)

Huet (all of them but especially Le Haut Lieu Sec)

Marie Courtin Efflorescence Champagne

Guillemot-Michel Viré-Clessé Quintaine

Ok this is cheating a bit but:
Eric Bordelet Poiré Granit

I agree that sometimes these lists can use updating. I’ve bought other candidates but have yet to taste them.

1 Like

Yes (at an ever increasing price), but still great QPR. Also,

Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc
Domaine des Moirots reds and whites from the Côte Chalonnaise
Juillot reds from the Côte Chalonnaise
Hudelot Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
Kabinetts and Spatlesen from Reinhold Haart, von Schubert, Schloss Lieser and Selbach
Chateau Climens
Mount Eden Wolff Vineyard Chardonnay
Moreau Naudet or Christian Moreau Chablis Premier Crus
Albert Mann
Vajra Barolo Albe

2 Likes

How much German wine do you buy?

99% of German wines.

1 Like

Not much, mostly because I don’t drink a ton of white wine, and when I do, I go for a profile that my wife would enjoy as well.

I do love Donhoff, Prum, Falkenstein (especially the Alte Reben), Keller trocken, et al.

1 Like

Great producers making great wines but not necessarily the best QPRs IMHO.

Hard to understand that. These are excellent Kabinetts in the $25-$35 range.

Lay some better ones on me, I’ll chase them down!

Try Spreitzer Kabs
You might likey.

Crisp, white QPR = Briords Muscadet

2 Likes

Washington State.

Lots of high quality wines in the $40-$60 range and some really good values under $30, such as Rasa’s Founder’s Reserve, Sleight of Hand blends, Rotie Cellars VDP, Devium (everything), Gorman.

1 Like

Not sure what wines you are buying for $25-30. Your prices seems old to me. Most Falkenstein Kabinetts that I have seen in the last year are more in the $40 to 50 range than $25-30 - I paid about $50 or so for the 2020 Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett Alte Reben “Gisela” #8 when it first hit this market. JJ Prum WS Kabinetts are in the same $40-50 range. With Keller, what are you buying - certainly not the G Max at $2000 or so. Don’t buy much Donnhoff, but again, what are you buying for $25-30?

My sense is that the German wines from the producers I mentioned are really good as well and are at least a bit cheaper. Note, that, in my cellar, I have more Prum than wines from any other producer and am buying a decent amount of Falkenstein, so I obviously think the wines from these producers are great, but from a QPR perspective today, I just think others are better.

I am surprised that this wasn’t mentioned earlier. Typically my go-to region for qpr, even with the gradual uptick in prices from my faves. Kerloo, Novelty Hill, Walter Clore Columbia series…all great wines, esp. at their price point. Will say that at last years NY Wine Exp, the washington lunch didn’t show well. Definitely lost a little faith, though I think it was really just not the best lineup to showcase the state.

1 Like

Hmmm. I did say up to $35, not $30. Check WineSearcher.

Just bought Falkenstein AP12 at $34.99 from Chambers.

I think my quoted range is sound. Keller trocken at $25. Donnhoff Kabis available sub-$35. Haven’t bought Prum last couple vintages.

2 Likes

I thought Eric Boissenot was the consultant at Lanessan not Bouard. I too have had my share of Lanessan, and just the other day I was forced to try one of the 2018s, which regardless of the consult is in a fairly fruit driven vintage—I can assure you this wine is still balanced, built to mature 15-20, and has that Lanessan spine and freshness. Am I wrong about it being Boissenot? Can’t find much on the web!

This, per Leve:

In an effort to increase quality, starting with the 2015 vintage, the owners of Lanessan brought in Hubert de Bouard, the owner of Chateau Angelus as their consultant.
Read more at:> Learn about Chateau Lanessan Haut Medoc, Complete Guide

I didn’t particularly care for 2015 or 2016 under Bouard, and considering that I generally am not a fan of 2018 Bordeaux, or many other regions of France in 2018, not sure if I grab any. I’ll try 2019.

Hard to believe there aren’t any Italians. Oh well. More for me.

Hmmm… I was sure Owlman’s post would include Guion, and I would add “+1”.

For me, Guion, Lopez de Heredia Reservas and Crianzas, Huet secs, and Cadence (WA) Bdx blends. Oh, also, almost any Syrah or Viognier from Northern Rhone satellite appellations…

I see at least 8 Italian producers listed, one of them (Vajra) three times, along with two entire Italian categories.

My taste buds are at complete odds with Barolo’s and Barbaresco’s right now(lots of Vajra, Ratti, Rinaldi, Sottimano, Produttori, Cantina del Pino, Sori Patin and Vietti in the cellar) so they’re non existent in my mind. Currently it’s almost exclusively Tuscan’s when I think about quality Italians. CCR’s and things out of Maremma are my go to’s right now as QPR