Pure Sangiovese Super Tuscans

Dear all,

i’m new here, would like to hear your suggestions regarding 100% Sangiovese (barriqued or otherwise) wines not bottled under any DOC/DOCG.

Also what’s the bottle from Tuscany that excited you the most lately?

Thanks

My first question would be why? With all the high-quality, affordable chianti around right now, why would you want to pay more for a “Super-Tuscan” label? I’m not in retail, but to me this has to be one of the slowest-moving segments in the market right now.

Re: recently exciting Tuscan wines, virtually anything you find in your local market right now by Felsina is worth purchasing, and at least IMO, given their class & drinking window, wines like their CCR and Rancia are worth buying by the case.

A really good 100% Sangiovese is probably my favorite type of wine. The best I’ve had was a 1997 Isole E Olena Cepparello. My personal opinion, though, is that Cepparello needs around ten years from the vintage to really show off well.

As you probably know, Chianti Classicos may now have 100% Sangiovese. I think Fontodi’s basic Chianti Classico is 100% Sangiovese – it’s great wine and under $30. Of course, that doesn’t really answer your question because that’s a DOCG. Fontodi’s Super Tuscan Flaccianello is also 100% Sangiovese – and needs more than ten years to age.

Good question, and welcome.

Rob

My favorite Tuscan wine is probably Montevertine Pergole Torte, which I’m pretty sure is 100% Sangiovese (I think the Sodaccio, Riserva, etc have some other red grapes). But all of the Montevertine wines could now use Chianti if they wanted to (when they stopped using Chianti Classico, it was because they didn’t want to use the white varieties required at the time).

Flaccianello and Cepparello are the two that come to mind.

Thanks for the answers, i’ll add one myself:

Podere Poggio Scalette, Il Carbonaione

You guys are right, Chianti is breathing of new life and right now offers terrific value for money, but I’m looking for something to give to a friend who likes these sort of wines and was looking for something that wasn’t really mainstream.

Flaccinello and Felsina Fontalloro are my two favorites that are non Chianti.

Flaccianello, Tignanello, Ceperello, Fontalloro are all wines I like…

Haven’t tried the last few vintages, but Villa Cafaggio San Martino seemd to be nicely priced for an IGT. Also another chime in for Fontalloro.

Percarlo comes to mind, but count me as another person who considers the whole Super Tuscan genre very stale.

Too much flavor for you, understandable. [tease.gif]

Anything that includes Montevertine can never be considered stale.

Piling on to what Dale and Jay have said, Montevertine’s Le Pergole Torte was my vinous epiphany. Even though my palate has shifted toward a preference for Piedmont reds, I’ll always owe a debt of gratitude to the late, great Sergio Manetti for seducing me down the path of Italian wines, and I still enjoy a Montevertine whenever I get the chance.

I dunno if I’d consider Pergole Torte a Super-Tuscan just because it’s an IGT… they could call it a Chianti Classico if they wanted to, right? I always understood it was an IGT in protest of the declining standards of the DOCG rules, as opposed to the normal motivation for bottling an IGT - in protest of the overly restrictive standards of the DOCG rules.

Now Pergole Torte could be called a Chianti Classico. But my understanding is when it was first produced, Manetti gave up the CC designation because he didn’t want to follow the then current rules (I think it was max 70% Sangiovese, 10% Canaiolo, and had to be at least 20% white grapes- Trebbiano and another grape). So the same motivation.

agreed - love the whole lineup. in fact, the only tuscan wines i buy.

they’re Tuscan and they’re Super!