PSA Rieslingfeier 2019

Luckily most, if not all, of the winemakers are in town.

Jochen Beurer is doing an in store tasting at Chambers on Friday. I can’t recommend these wines highly enough. Try his reds as well as the whites.

I went last year and this was NOT my experience. Lots of moving around and trading bottles with other tables. I even managed to taste a bottle Robert brought and his table was far from mine. The food was quite good too. I sat next to Johannes Selbach who told me the food was signicantly better than before (new chef). By the way, sitting with Johannes is a ton of fun.

Johannes is a super nice guy.

To be clear, I was referring to my Reboule experience, NOT Rieslingfeier.

I’m likely not attending the dinner due to the wishes of my better half anyway [snort.gif]

Could not agree more.

Your dinner last night looked fabulous. How were the MCs and Alzingers? (I have bottles of three of those MCs still.)

Everything show well. The 89 Auslese Scheurebe was stunning. The 95 Alzinger from a tough year was also great I forgot to note the vineyard. Austrian wines just age so well.

Egon Muller at Ko on deck for tonight!!!

Damn. That sounds like an amazing duo

I am very excited! The theme is on / off vintages comparisons with age. Obviously all Egon Muller wines going back to at least the 80s and maybe older.

Thread bump! Since I didn’t attend this year, notes on the morning tasting, first impressions of 2017 vintage would be appreciated, thanks. I have bought the Selbach Ur-Alte Reben '17, but haven’t opened any.

I will try to put some notes together. I visited Germany this and like 2017 a lot and this was confirmed at the tasting, especially dry wines.

The 2017 wines from Austria blew me away especially Alzinger.

Egon Muller mentioned this weekend that broadly speaking, 2015 is likely the best (or right at the top) modern-era vintage and 2017 is pretty close behind. He mentioned that when declaring the great vintages however, it is difficult to be decisive until about 15-20 ish years because they do need some time. As an aside, he also recommended drinking 2016 early as they are open and should remain so.

The 2017’s I had were impressive but then again the 2017 Keller Pettenthal Auction was there and it blew my mind with both an expressive nose and complexity unlike most young wines… so my data got skewed.

As you know, 2017 was a small crop so I think it is safe to say go get ‘em if you want ‘em.