Provence restaurant recs

We will be on a group bike tour in Provence in late May of 2025. Our group of 10 is eclectic with ages ranging form 22-80, so not everyone is seriously into wine, but all enjoy good food. I’m looking for restaurant recs for Avignon and Saint Remy de Provence in particular, as we will be spending several nights in each city. I’d like to treat the group to a nice tasting menu dinner one night (not overly stuffy, though), but am also looking for any solid casual restaurant recommendations.
thanks in advance, Jan

I just got back from two weeks in Provence and did a fair amount of cycling. The scenery is fantastic and the the residents are very bike friendly. We stayed in Lourmarin about an hour from Avignon. We did go to Avignon one day and a google search led to a blog called Observing Leslie. I took one of their recommendations and went to lunch at a restaurant called L’Agape. It was quite good. Three course meal was about 40 E and it had a fairly good wine list. I have no personal knowledge but the blog also recommended Michelin Star restaurants Sevin and La Mirande . They also reommended L’Essentiel.

I can’t help you on St. Remy but I am confident that you will have a great time. Bon Chance!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Very helpful recommendations.

We had dinner at Gus Restaurant in St. Remy about 9 months ago. All (or at least very nearly all) seafood, and we really liked it. Definitely not a tasting menu type of place, but it’s on the main thoroughfare that loops around the middle of St. Remy. Seemed to have equal share of locals and tourists, small tables that are close together, that type of thing. A decent wine list and I had to get the fairly priced (not necessarily a steal) Didier Dagueneau Silex. My wife got oysters and miso cod and I had John Dory. As I recall we liked everything. Very solid meal but not “special occasion” type of nice, so not sure if that fits the bill but the only review I have to offer for St. Remy

That sounds perfect! Thanks

Not in Avignon exactly but had good meals at La Maison de Celou and Restaurant le Vivier, L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue. le Vivier had a nice wine list with Reyas and Château des Tours at no to little mark-up.

1 Like

I also recall that when the Silex was brought to the table the guy was telling us a story about Dagueneau and then we ended up chatting with him about wine some while he was pulling the cork and so on. In the little chit chat we told him that we had gone to Vieux Telegraphe earlier that day. Later we found out that he was a member of the family that owns the place and he brought over a bottle of Vieux Telegraphe’s brandy that you can only get direct from the producer and poured us each little glasses and didn’t charge us for them. He really charmed us and we went back to the hotel happy. The more I think about it, the more I liked that place, so I really hope that you have a good experience if you choose to eat there.

Also: go Pack go

Great story. Will definitely try to have dinner there. Advice from fellow Packer fan always appreciated!

I spend several months annually in Eygalieres which is 5 miles or so from St Remy and Les Baux.

We fell in love with Bistro du Paradou, Close to Mausanne. Prix fixe -$70. Started off with a huge tureen of soupe aux pistou, followed by a poulet fermier with morels salad and an entire cheese platter for the table. They have a house Rhone wine made by Mont Redon that comes with the meal as many bottles as you can drink. The outdoor area is about as perfect a location to eat a rustic bistro meal. Here is a review -The Provence Post: Just Opened: The New Paradou

3 Likes

My wife and I ate lunch at Bistro au Paradou in April of 2000. It was one of the most idyllic meals we’ve ever had. Glad to hear it’s still good. Highly recommend.

Sounds fantastic! thanks

Mike,

Exceptional meal! The size and choice of the cheese platter that every table gets makes the $70 seem inexpensive. My last time was October 23rd and the place was hopping !

I remember the cheese platter! I love that it’s still popular.

When we were there, the local mayor and his staff showed up for lunch on horseback!