Producers I've never heard of Part I

I want to meet this Maude.

It seems pretty clear - for the best values, buy the wines critics don’t talk about.

FIFY. +1 . In the right years and at the right price, I like their wines. Has a pretty rustic profile though, so if you like ultra clean/pretty burgundy, this might not be your cup of tea. Also I think they were bought out by Pascal Marchand recently? So the last vintage that was produced by the old guard was 2010?? I have no experience with the new winemaker/s.

David,
I’ve had a few vintages of Jean Raphet’s (father) Charmes Chambertin. 1993 was stunning every time I had it. I opened a 2001 last year and loved it. Last Sunday I had the '98 which was very good, but nowhere near the level of 1993 or 2001. Jean’s Clos Vougeot doesn’t do much for me. Of the premier crus, I’ve had different vintages Lavaux St. Jacques and Les Millandes. Very good, but not on the level of the Charmes when it’s on.
The only Gerard Raphet (son) wines I’ve drunk are the Passetoutgrains and some village Gevrey and Chambolle. I’ve enjoyed all of these, esp. the 2008 Chambolle. And the prices have been quite good.

One of the things that has changed over the years is the “going out of the way” to NOT send samples to Robert Parker and the Wine Advocate if you discover a new producer - especially in Burgundy.

Back in the 80s and 90s, the first thing you did was get samples off to Robert Parker after you discovered a new producer because of the influence they had on the market. Today’s young importers now understand the repercussions of getting “not so great” reviews, or simply hold Parker’s hold on the market with complete contempt.

With Burgundy more than any other region, you can’t hide if you make great wines. EVERY geek will find out very fast who is making great wines, who the promising new producers are (with so many offshoots today from other domaines), so you don’t have to do the promoting you did in the past. Henri Jouan is a classic example.

NOW - the biggest fear a small, specialty importer has is having their discoveries taken from them by the big importers who can promise cash on the barrelhead and super stardom for these new producers. So they want to keep them a secret as long as possible.

NOW - the biggest fear a small, specialty importer has is having their discoveries taken from them by the big importers who can promise cash on the barrelhead and super stardom for these new producers. So they want to keep them a secret as long as possible.

Thomas I get it, I think. The consolidation of Capitalism at work. Don’t know how old you are but I grew up in a world of pharmacies on every corner. The pharmacist/owner made a very good living. Now they all work for Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid, etc. The flip side, in that world at least, is that drugs are cheaper.

I am learning through this thread how much the Internet is a leveler in that it maximizes information availability.

Meanwhile, I am intrigued by what I read about Jouan’s CSD-sounds like a lot of wine for 150 bucks.

David