Prime Rib (first time making) - any recs/secrets/techniques?

I decided to try making a prime rib next month for the holidays… I’ve started some research, but if anyone has a ton of experience making and has some recs/secrets/techniques/recipes, I’m all ears. I’ll prob buy bone in from SNF or Flannery, # ribs TBD (depending on final head count). Appreciate any insight, thx.

The Morgan Ranch bone-in rib roast only comes in one size, but I tried it last year and just followed their instructions and loved it, so if it’s the right size for you, I recommend giving it a look as well.

1 Like

I use this method :

2 Likes

Use the Food Lab method but many good ones:

The reverse sear and roasting at a low temp really works super well. Hardest part is knowing how long to allow for at at 250F roasting temp. You are 100% correct to buy bone in.

3 Likes

I had only started looking online - I’ll pull TKs ad hoc from the shelf and take a look - ty

1 Like

Did this last year with a Morgan Ranch Prine Rib.
Was perfect

Kept an internal thermometer on the whole time with a digital display out side the oven. Was about 4 hours at 250 IIRC, mAybe a little less

1 Like

It’s all pretty straightforward, so no need to get too in your head about it.
Couple of notes:

• I usually like reverse searing. Various links have already been posted around the technique, so I don’t think there’s any need to go over it.
  • Most cooking time estimates will be for non-dry aged beef. Do keep in mind that a dry aged rib roast will cook faster than a standard rib roast, so plan accordingly if you go the dry age route.
  • Having an internal meat thermometer you can leave in the roast is helpful to track doneness.
  • I like buying my rib roasts bone in, removing the bones and tying the meat with the bones back up. I find it makes for easier and more even salting; and makes carving later easier. Just cut the twine, remove the bones and you have your roast ready to carve.
  • If you want some form of herb crust (always fun to play around with different herbs spices), so wait until it’s time to seat to put it on, otherwise you risk burning all the herbs and spices. A couple of beaten egg whites serve as an excellent binder for whatever herb mixture you chose.
2 Likes

Plenty of solid recommendations here. I cook 4 or 5 of these a year and the things I’ve noted from my experience is to salt it much more than you think you need to, cook it to a higher temp than you normally would for a steak (I like it around 132-135) as it doesn’t eat like steak and 125/medium rare just doesn’t texturally work out well. The egg white binder is a good trick. I just recently used black garlic molasses as a binder and that has my permanent vote. I’m sort of on the fence with the bones as the the bones insulate the bottom of the roast to the point where it doesn’t cook as well and the bone meat itself isn’t cooked quite enough either. That has varied from roast to roast though and at the end of the day everyone loves going full savage and gnawing on the bones.

This was my most recent roast I did on vacation in Big Bear

2 Likes

Awesome and mouth watering pictures as always Elliot. I’ll have to try out black garlic molasses binder next time I make one

1 Like

That’s the way to go Rodrigo. Cut the roast off the bone and tie em back. No resting needed after reverse seAr so just carve and plate

1 Like

Looks great Tony.

I’m definitely in favour of resting the roast prior to carving though. Aside from letting the juices redistribute sp they don’t pool out, I also get the added benefit of a bit more time to sort out the remainder of the side dishes and sauces prior to bringing the roast out and carving it.

1 Like

This is an easy foolproof method. The roast is the same rare/medium rare all the way through.

Really great recs - thanks for the comments. I’ll repost in a few weeks :crossed_fingers:

This is also called the golden lion cut.See post 10

1 Like

This works well and very simple

My late mother used this recipe as long as I can remember. Certainly from the mid-60s.

This is the recipe I meant to post